[REVIEW] Must.Eat.Birds.

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Akiyama Mio, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: .99c [For a limited time only!]

Version: 1.1 (iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)

iTunes Store link: MUST.EAT.BIRDS.

Developer: MediaTonic

Think of it this way. Imagine a japanese game show mixed with a very creative, artistic mind. Can't? Don't worry - MUST.EAT.BIRDS. does it for you. Released a month ago by MediaTonic, don't let the chibi envirnment fool you. This game is a very challenging picnic defense game - also the first of such, I believe. Birds want to eat your picnic, and refuse to share! Let's eat those birds. Yeah, talk about badassness. With a total of 9 missions, this is one of the most addicting games I've played.

Gameplay

Lovable creatures called Nomsters, invading birds, and cake - what can you do with these? MUST.EAT.BIRDS. As a nomster, you're objective is to protect your precious cake by fulfilling your hunger and keeping your precious cake, eating the birds. The birds are parachuting from the sky, so you're gonna be hurling your nomster through the air to eat them via a sling-shot like device. When it comes to difficulty, sounds like quite the easy task, right? That's what I thought - dragging your finger down and letting go. Wrong. It's all about strategy - most of the levels, you have a limited amount of monsters. Those levels objectives are to nom a certain amount of birds. That can get really hard, especially as you progress and different types of birds come. Strategy, strategy. Your nomsters fly off the top of the screen, and can even resort to eating eachother to make one bigger.

PROTECT THE CAAAKEEE!

There are various types of parachuting avian. First, there's the normal bird. The normal bird is the most common type, and is simply consumed when touched. These are used as the only birds for the first two or three levels, then you're introduced to the crafty ones. These birds use half an egg shell to stand in, which is used as a shield. You hit them once, then they're the normal, common bird. Consume by touching. There's also bombs, which when touched blow up birds that a certain amount of spots away.

You are then introduced to the "hard boiled birds". These birds are a regular, full shell. When they're hit, it splits into too common birds. Be prepared for the fat bird. The fat bird, is simply an overweight bird that's eaten too much, but obviously wants some cake. They fall quicker do to the force of gravity on them. Hit once to consume. You're then introduced in Level 6 to the ultimate bird - the "EAT" bird. The EAT bird is the huge bird you see in the banner above. In order to consume this bird, you need to eat a nomster 2 to 3 times, then touch the bird. This is a lot harder then it sounds. Whenever a nomster eats another the fly up a bit. So, having your nomster not fly up, and touching an "EAT" bird which is suprisingly fast, is hard. This is why you need strategy -- or MAXIMUM BAKE!

As one feasts on parachuting birds, the higher the combos you get makes a cake in the background grows taller and taller. Once one reaches the maximum height, you're going into MAXIMUM BAKE mode! A japanese game show like voice says "MAXIMUM BAKE!" During normal circumstances, your nomster would fly off the screen - but now, for a limited time, it stays ON the screen! This means, the more nomsters you launch, the more of a chance the first nomster will eat it. Those birds are now at your mercy to eat.

MAXIMUM BAKE! 最高は焼ける!

There is two modes of gameplay - Missions and Challenge. Mission is where there are 9 different levels and different objectives, being the main gameplay. This doesn't seem like much, but it's very challenging. Don't expect that to be a 30 minute time waster. Although, it still isn't much - I very much hope for an update or a MUST.EAT.BIRDS. 2. Challenge Mode contains 4 different "challenges", and I could only beat the first two.

Graphics

The graphics are amazing. Everything is extremely colorful, with a cute, japanese style of various objects. When I first opened the app, the first thing I noticed were the graphics and the beautiful colors - I even laughed at the drooling nomster. The backgrounds are very happy, and consist of rainbows, hills, etc. It purposely has a mistranslated feel to it, covering the original japanese interface with a black label that has the English translation.

Even the loading screen is epic.​

The Other Stuff
    • Audio - the audio is a fast paced eastern song, which is constantly repeated throughout the game. That is made up with by how fun it is to listen to it while playing.

Scoring

Gameplay - 9/10 - The gameplay is completely addicting! It's currently my most favorite games. There is nothing to complain about in this game, besides the difficulty - the only reason this is a 9/10. It's a tad bit TOO hard, but that's probably what makes it fun. Definitely not just a time waster, and challenging - mix all this together and you get an awesome game.

Graphics/Interface - 10/10 - The graphics and interface are amazing - I've never loved graphics from an App Store game so much. These are the kind of graphics in a game I've been looking for. The interface is simple, and easy.

Sound - 7/10 - The sound is very fun and fast paced, but is the only thing you hear throughout the entire game. The fact that is repeats and is all you hear brings down the rating. There's not any sound effects besides a japanese game show like voice saying "MAXIMUM BAKE!", as far as I know. As soon as I get my headphones back and there is, I'll update this immediately. Sorry about that.

Replay Value - 7/10 - After you beat it, you're bound to think that you're not going to play again. That's what I thought, but I was wrong - I kept on trying to get my letter grade higher for each mission, plus there's challenges which you can challenge friends to. I'm hoping updates will bring more mission or challenges!

Overall - 8/10 - MUST.EAT.BIRDS. is a very challenging, yet amazing game. The developers did a very good job, and shouldn't worry about people not liking it. The strangeness mixed with the amusement this game supplies creates an amazing result.

Thanks for reading. I suggest getting this game immediately.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hehe. I had fun reviewing this, I dunno why. :3 Sorry about no The Bottom Line, and sorry about not reviewing much lately. That'll come to an end <3

Attached Files:

2. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    :O Really nice review. I was gonna review this one too but I had like $0.37 left and was all.
    D:
  3. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Thanks ^-^
  4. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Maximum bayake!
  5. stickypop

stickypop Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Love this game! I know the designer of the characters, he's got some amazing art!
  6. LeanPocketTouch

LeanPocketTouch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have that game, it's so beast. I play it at work when I'm bored
  7. Microsoft™

Microsoft™ Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You inspire me...
  8. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Too buy the game or write reviews? ;P Either way means my job is done ^-^;
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    -hopes to god there's automerge-

Tell him he did an AMAZING job, and link him to my review, lulz.
  9. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. qaiz

qaiz Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    too hard i hate this game

is soo dam hard its insane