[Review] Moonlight Mahjong Lite

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Rougelead, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    In my desperate attempt to find something FREE to review I finally decided to go on itunes. 'Sigh' why my Ipod needs to sync every time I go on it me won’t know. Aside from that, when I was scrolling through the 10 pages of itunes free games I noticed what every person would notice...There isn't that many free applications that are good. So I decided to pick one randomly.

And along came Moonlight Mahjong

Name: Moonlight Mahjong
    Price: Free
    Developer: Midnight Martian

Not being one of the bigger fans of Mahjong I wasn’t going into this game with much anticipation. But I was armed with the basic knowledge of Mahjong and the ability to use my fingers!

Please Register or Log in to view images

After reading the description I found out that it promised "3D version of the classic puzzle game"

WAIT...

3D? How much are other mahjong games? $0.99 to $9.99! And it looks to me like it’s hard to see the tiles.

However, this game Trumps all other Mahjong games! Let’s take a look at this first picture.

WHOW! 3D game action right there! I was just about to score myself a 2 dot brick!

Okay, so the 3d ability makes it hard to play and I like to play just from a normal top position.

Now let me explain how the 3D controls work.

Let’s talk about controls

Using 1 finger, just like manipulating a picture, moves the tiles up down left or right. Using two fingers Zooms, rotates, and changes the pitch.

However you can’t just throw away the 3D ability. Designers of the game made it so that you can’t distinguish between heights if you’re looking at it top down. So you must move the tiles just a bit to make sure that they are on different levels. This little trick makes the game play very hard and long. Constantly changing the angle to see if the tile is on a different level.

The tiles are easy to hit, and I see no problem there.

Final thoughts

Now I was playing the game on and off during this review and I found a nice angle that is perfect for playing this game. You can see the entire board and the different heights as well.

Recommendations, hmm... For this game I would recommend it to anyone who has a long flight or a long car ride. It’s free so you can use it for those occasions and not be over paying.

Now I can recommend this is people who play a lot of Mahjong, but they might not enjoy the 3D action! So to you I say, I don’t know.

I give this application a 4/5 because of weird controls, but good solid game play!
  2. zephyrnok

zephyrnok Member

I would assume you recommend it for a person NOT driving a car for a long time, yes?

Great review, but I have no clue how to play Mahjong.

Seems like some sort of matching game to me =O
  3. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It is a sort of matching game, and once you get the hang of it, it's very addicting.
  4. Wyatt2987

Wyatt2987 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry but... In my opinion your perception of this game is very wrong. You can adjust the board in your liking and the controls are fun. Your the only person that has said you don't like them. I think this is one of the best apps developed in Appstore because it looks very professional. Not to mention on the midnight mahjong version for $4.99, it has twelve different boards. By far, my favorite app and I definatly did not waste my money. I recommend this for puzzle people and mahjong lovers. It's the best mahjong game I've ever seen as well.
  5. kridix

kridix Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I like this game it's very addicting. Cool 3D gameplay too.
  6. Rougelead

Rougelead New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

What everyone can play, even the guy driving and if he gets in an accident he can talk about Mahjong to the guy he hit!

7. ohdarlingx

ohdarlingx Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    IMO this is one of the best games available for free if not the best.