[REVIEW] Modern Combat: Sandstorm

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Jibblejab, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Jibblejab

Jibblejab New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: £3.99

Version: 1.0.7

iTunes Link: Modern Combat: Sandstorm

What is Modern Combat?
    Modern Combat: Sandstorm is a ground breaking new First Person Shooter for the iPhone and iPod Touch by Gameloft. Modern Combat is completely different to all other FPS's on the App Store today.

Modern Combat has been compared to ground breaking consle titles such as Call of Duty 4. Potential updates for Modern Combat will hopefully include options such as PvP and Co-Op Play.

Gameplay and Controls

Modern Combat uses a remarkably simple user-interface which makes the game alot easier to get to grips with. You control your character's movement using a virtual D-PAD and you control the aim of your gun by swiping across the screen, the aiming is hard to get used to at first but the auto-aim gives you a hand when you are aiming close to a bad guy.

You also have various buttons on the screen which enable you do to certain tasks such as reloading your weapon, swapping weapons, throw frag and flashbang grenades. You also have to toggles to toggle standing/crouching and toggling iron sight aiming.

At certain points in the game a button will appear that will allow you to climb over obsctacles and to drop down ledges.

The gameplay is smooth and intuitive and rarely gets boring, with a variety of weapons to help you shoot and explode your way through ten beautifully rendered locations.

The variety of objectives are nice, one minute you will be defending a palace and the next you are storming a building with a machine gun rattling away in your hands, this makes the game sound random and inconsistent...but it isnt!

Graphics

It may just be my personal opinion but I believe the graphics in Modern Combat are really good.... well for an iPhone game anyway. Compare this to any other FPS on the iPhone and you will see that this game is by far the best looking of the lot.

The levels are beautifully designed making the game that much more pleasureable to play!

Replay Value

At the moment due to the fact that there hasnt been any updates, the only replay value is the options of the four difficulty settings, allowing you to challenge yourself to master the game and beat the harder settings.

Round-Up
    All in all I like Modern Combat, it's tried something new and its worked well! The attention to alot of detail and the nicely broken up gunfights makes the game well worth your pennies.

With the addition of updates this game can garunteed to top the iPhone game market.

Ratings
    Gameplay/Controls: 9/10 - The a good concept with easy to learn, hard to master controls and array of objectives makes the game great to play!

Graphics: 10/10 - For an iDevice the graphics are absolutely amazing.

Replay: 10/10 - At the minute it sits on a 6 but I have given a 10 due to potential.

Value for Money: 7/10 - Its a 7 at the minute but that will rise if the potential updates come. Even without it being on sale it is still well worth picking up!

Overall 9/10 - I like Modern Combat: Sandstorm, its a great game to play on the iPod and will keep you amused for hours. This sits on my list of Best iPod Games Evarr along with titles such as Minigore and Super Yum Yum 3!

Attached Files:

2. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice review! Kinda reminds me of counterstrike.
  3. Jibblejab

Jibblejab New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Lol I have never seen any footage of CounterStrike... lol

It reminds me of a game my friend used to play called Warrock
  4. The_Pirate

The_Pirate Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    this game is immense
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review... I was on the fence with this game as I've avoided the hype, but you've just pushed me off... my credit card takes another $6.99 bruising!

Constructive criticism: use the official review scoring system, try and write a bit more detail and space out your text by adding double line breaks after images.
  6. Jibblejab

Jibblejab New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok cool thanks for the tips.

I will bear them in mind when I come to right my Super Yum Yum 3 Review
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    oh and add a thumbnail! see Abcmsaj's stuck review guide thread for more details.. plus text looks better when left justified - i.e. just center the images.
  8. Jibblejab

Jibblejab New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have tried to add a thumbnail by attaching a picture but to no avail
  9. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Great game I love it =]
  10. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Having served, I can say that this is very detailed and true to life. The missions are, of course, not realistic, but the detail in the weaponry is. The iron sights on the M16 were spot on. Of course, the MP5, AK-47, and M16 don't all use the same ammo, but the intent is there. Love the sound effects and the true to life muzzle flash.

Great game.