[Review] Minigore

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by davidpiano1, Aug 10, 2009.

1. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    016249.png
    [Originally posted at another site by me (proof that it's me is that the photos here are not watermarked while they are at ...]

It was one of the most highly anticipated and hyped games of the summer, and it’s finally here. Minigore, developed by Mountain Sheep and published by Chillingo, proves to be an enthralling and addicting experience for less than a dollar. Intended to be a constantly expanding and improving app through “episodes,” Minigore is simple but engaging due to its pick-up-and-play gameplay and its boxy, stylized graphics.

There’s little to actually explain about the gameplay itself. Essentially, you are John Gore, a squarish character who has found himself lost in a forest with an infinite ammo machine gun and little creatures called “furries” that are intent on eating him alive. You control him using two virtual joysticks, the left one controlling where John walks, and the right one for shooting and aiming his gun. This method is especially good since you can easily shoot in one direction while backpedalling away from the furries in the opposite direction, an essential act as the game progresses and becomes more challenging and hectic.

The game uses a two step health system, represented by John’s physical condition on screen. After being touched once, he receives a jolt of adrenaline and brief invulnerability so he can escape. Appearing battered and war-torn, he now only has one more chance to survive before being overcome by his enemies.

Please Register or Log in to view images

It’s hard to explain what makes the game so addicting and fun even though there’s only one map and no differentiation between difficulty levels other than the numerical score. Ultimately, the game is satisfying since it constantly makes you feel on-the-edge, as if at any moment something can go wrong and you will be defeated. As funny as it sounds, the limited health makes the game feel more “realistic,” and this is compounded by the fact that the small furries only require one shot to burst, with the larger variants only taking a few more shots. I strongly liken the furries to the “flood” characters in the original Halo: Combat Evolved. While by themselves weak and harmless, in groups the flood were a formidable enemy. The larger furries are likewise similar to the flood carriers, slow large creatures that after being shot a few times, explode to release a large number of their smaller brethren. Add on the fire furries, which are fast enough to outrun John Gore himself, and you have a little game with surprising depth and excitement.

The furries immediately reminded me of the flood infection forms from Halo.

In addition to the standard machine gun, occasionally enemies will drop either a wooden box or a four-leafed clover. Shooting the box will cause it to explode like a bomb, while collecting it will allow John to use a shotgun. Plus, collecting three four-leaf clovers causes John to transform into a minotaur for a limited amount of time that will turn the tide of the battle, pac-man style, and let him devour the furries. Although slightly shallow in content, the promise of future updates is great - so for now I will rate it a 9.45, which will round up to a 9.5.

9.5/10
  2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I didn't like this game at first, but it has really grown on me. Updates or no updates it's certainly worth the price.

Really addicting.
  3. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Also, this has already been done...

And exceptionally well, by Radish. Your a bit late...
  4. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yea the first play was amazing, the next few were a disappointment, but once I started getting into 4000+ and having a strategy it got really good.
  5. epqr

epqr Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There's nothing wrong with having two review of the same game. It's only good to read what different people think of the game.

As for the review, it's decent. A little short, but what you have written is pretty good. Also I'm not a big fan of the large-fonted first words, makes it look a bit messy imo.
  6. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Haha ok I fixed the first words - got a little carried away.

And yea when I write future reviews I'll make them a bit longer - it's just that minigore is so simple in concept that I didn't want it to seem like I was struggling just to fill space.
  7. MuseFan288

MuseFan288 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    this game got to boring to fast it would be funner if it had multiplayer over wifi
  8. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Personally I love the review. So what if it's been done already? I read others that were really well done, but this was the first that described my feelings while playing Minigore in words so accurately. It's simply that - indescribable, on-the-edge, adrenaline coursing through your veins feeling. Great review, amazing app!!!
  9. fighter_felix

fighter_felix Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    minigore episodes 2 and up, is it like a new app that we have to purchase or it will just update the minigore that we have on our idEVICE?
  10. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It's an update to the game you already have on your device