[REVIEW] Mini iPod Speaker

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by iPod.Touch, Jan 10, 2009.

1. iPod.Touch

iPod.Touch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok. On December 26th I bought this mini speaker for iPods and it arrived on the 2nd January 09. Not bad how it came from Hong Kong and I live in England. So, on with the review.

Shipping and Purchase
    The speaker itself cost me $8.24, about £4-£6. It came with free shipping too to any country ^^ The only way to buy it, however, was through PayPal. After purchasing it, it arrived at my front door a mere 7 days later. It was packed in a blister plastic pack and came with an instruction sheet. (Not that you'll need it =P) The speaker was white and plastic, but cheap so can't really complain.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Quality of product
    It was quite thick; nearly as thick as my Griffin Reflect case. When you initially plug the speaker in, it will start the Videos app. However, if you have been listening to music beforehand, then it will open the Music app. As the speaker runs off your iPods battery, it doesn't need external batteries to power it, but this will run your iPods battery down pretty fast. Now when I say 'pretty fast' I mean like 10% every 5-10 minutes.

Quality of Sound
    The speaker has two tiny speakers on either end of the product and volume controls. The sound that is produced is quite surprising for something so cheap. Think of it like this. If you own a 2G iPod, or know someone who has, or even if you have an apple store near you, go and test the speakers out. The difference between the two is not much. The one I am reviewing, however, is slightly louder, but if the volume on a song goes up to much, it will start to distort the song.

Overall Rating
    Taking everything into account.
    • The price - cheap.
    • The quality of product - OK, but could be better.
    • The quality of sound - better than the 2G speakers but if too loud will distort.

However, it DOES run off your iPods battery, leaving you with less than half the time that you normally would and it adds length to the iPod. Also, if you do not have a hard case/silicon case, and just have a BSE or invisibleShield on then the speaker will look like a dock.

Overall Rating is 6.5/10

Where to buy?
    I bought this speaker at DealExtreme for $8.24. Like I said, it came from Honk Kong with free shipping, so don't expect a very fast delivery.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.845~r.55313135

=O I need that £10 for my Rubix's Cube!!!
  2. joorowned

joorowned New Member

Nice review. The running of the ipod touch's own battery is the biggest downfall to this product. If only you could charge it while playing with these speakers simultaneously would it be fully worth its value and possibly more. But in the meantime this product doesnt look worth it.
  3. eelw

eelw New Member

I also bought one of those speakers like over a year ago. Don't recall if it was the same EBay store or not though. But I was also surprised how quickly it was delivered. It took a week to get here in Toronto. While I never actually tested battery life, I don't find it consuming too much power as the topic creator. I don't notice a drastic battery life difference when using headphones or these speakers.