[Review] Metal Gear Solid: Touch [Review] DETAILED

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by rmc08, Jun 2, 2009.

1. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Metal Gear Solid: Touch

Price: 7.99

Hey, usually I review applications on iPod Touch Fans, but this time it's different. I'm now one of the admins, so hey, why not take advantage of the site?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Alright, so today I'll be reviewing Metal Gear Solid: Touch, just came out today. I haven't even opened the app yet, but as I review, I will begin to. Well here goes:

Intro: Metal Gear Solid, a popular serious introduced by Konami, has made it's way from Playstation, to Xbox, and now straight to the iPod Touch and iPhone. Is this game as good as all the others, or is it just an over hyped chunk of code?

Features: This game features 3 different types of weapons. The Dragnov, an RPG for shooting helicopters and Gekko, and the standard M4 Rifle. It also features many levels, which are re-playable. Drebin's Store is also present, but I'll get there later on...

Game Play: Anyway, when you start the game, you're at a menu with the options of "Start", "Special", "Drebin's Shop", "Options", and "Credits".

Now, obviously the first thing we're going to get to is the game play.

The second the play button is hit, you will be brought to a menu for level selection. Obviously, there will only be one level there since you just started the game.

So once you tap Level One, you're brought to a loading screen, and then to a dialogue that's part of the story with a picture of the situation as the background.

If you want, read through that. (I didn't

) Next ONE more loading screen with tips, and finally the gameplay! Once you see Solid Snake, the objective will appear saying how many enemies you must kill to pass the level. Level one is VERY easy by the way...

The game play now begins and starts off fairly easy. To aim, all you have to do is drag your finger across the screen to move the cross hair, and tap to shoot! Obviously it would be WAY too easy to just tap the enemy, and the cross hair makes it much more of a challenge. Also, Solid Snake will always be in cover unless you're shooting a weapon. Once you shoot, he'll be vulnerable to all the enemies. By the way, the wall CAN be destroyed if an enemies with RPGs fire too many rockets at it. You will not die, but you will no longer have any cover!

The enemies are nicely setup, because it tells you when they're going to shoot, so it gives you time to duck at the correct moment. There is a little red bar in the circle above their that moves from one side to the other. Once it reaches the other side, they will fire. Next to the enemies fire notification bar is their health. Some enemies maybe tougher to fight than others, such as the soldiers and Gekko. Soldiers are obviously a lot less powerful.

But, you have to watch out when shooting, because there are sometimes friendlies out there. They also have a circle above their head, but instead of the RED fire notification bar, its green. But, the bad part is it does not turn green until 1/4th of the way through. So, watch out!

Now, there are a couple of powerups in the game to help you along the way. One particular powerup can be used as 2 different things which is pretty cool, but I wonder why they didn't just use another animal! This powerup I am describing would be the Kerotan (the green frog). When you shoot it, it can be an RPG, for those levels with helis and Gekkos; if you're not in not in a level with either of those, it can be used to cloak you, making it harder for enemies to shoot you. I'm sure you're wondering, "What if it has both normal and big enemies?". Well, if it does, it will alternate between the 2 when you're playing. This way you have can use the RPG to destroy the big enemies (by the way, the M4 is worthless against the big enemies...), and the M4 to destroy normal ones.

CLICK ME! RAN OUT OF SPACE IN POST FOR PICS:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache2/42165.png

Well, now you see the other powerup called a Ga-Ko (yes, the duck). It is not as useful as the Kerotan, but it can help you in bad situations. Basically, all it does is restore your health. It's very challenging to obtain if your health is low, because you have to get out of cover.

Now, you might be wondering, "Well, there's those enemies far back, how do I get 'em?". Simple. Pinch to zoom and it will automatically swap to your Dragunov, making game play flow a lot more easily. It makes it a LOT more fast paced. If you had to constantly switch, the game play may seem slower than it actually is. It'd be cool if the sniper moved around when you aim, like in COD4. It would make it more challenging since its easy enough using the touch screen.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache2/42166.png

The RPG is controlled in the same manner as the Dragunov, by pinching and zooming. The cool part is that if you're aiming near a Gekko or heli, it will automatically switch to the RPG so you don't have to go through switching.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache2/42167.png

By the way, at the end of a mission, you get a time, life and hit bonus, DP (Drebin Points), and a Codename (your rank for the level).

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache2/42168.png

Lastly, Drebin's Shop. Probably the biggest disappointment. Want to buy guns and ammo or whatnot? Well, too bad. You can only buy 3D ART. That's right, 3D art. Although it is cool looking, I would rather have weapon upgrades...

http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcache2/42169.png

Well, that's enough for talking about game play... We will now move on to...

Sound: The sound is phenomenal. It's mostly taken straight from MGS4 on the PS3, but it is very high sound quality. It sounds like real RPGs, snipers and M4s going off. Also when you're wall gets shot it sounds very realistic to what you'd hear in the game.

Almost there...!

Graphics: Well, maybe I was expecting more, but well... IT'S 2D! What? I have never played a 2D MGS! Couldn't they have accomodated some 3d in there? Everything looks like 2D sprites. I mean, for 2D, it's very clear, but they could have animated the characters a bit better. They sort of slide. Also, the scenery does not move or do anything special, such as swaying trees. Overll, they're decent 2D graphics.

Presentation: 8.5
    Graphics: 7.5
    Sound: 9.5
    Gameplay: 8.0
    Lasting Appeal: 7.5

Average: 8.2

So, the sound was the best, but it didn't get a 10 because there aren't too many sounds. But, they are great quality. I was really expecting 3D graphics, since it IS MGS. But, the 2D graphics aren't too bad. The game won't really last too long, since the objective of each level is basically the same. Gameplay is fun, but could get boring after 15-30 minutes. Anyway, pretty well laid out, and it's pretty entertaining. But, not worth $7.99.
  2. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Wait..what?

This makes me think this is copy and pasted. This game came out a couple months ago..
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There was another thread (in the iTunes App Store Review section) where he was redirecting traffic to this review on a site that he was 'exclusively' reviewing for... I killed the links and locked the thread.. all of a sudden its not exclusive to the other site anymore...

Nice review, blighted though by the worst cut&paste job ever. Ah well, lt's all good info for those that need it.
  4. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I'm the one that exclusively posted at that site XD

I made this review! I take full credit!