[REVIEW] Luxmo iPod Touch 4th Generation TPU Crystal Case - Smoke Tinted Design

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by matt912836, Sep 18, 2010.

1. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just received this case in the mail today, and figured it would help out some forum members if I wrote a little review on it. Its a nice cheap case but definitely worth looking into if you want something to protect your new iPod touch, whether its a temporary solution until a higher end case comes out, or you need something simple but still want good protection.

Pictures will be updated!!

The Case:

Look and Feel: 9/10

Please Register or Log in to view images

The case comes in blue, pink, purple, clear, and smoked. I chose smoked since I wanted a slightly darker look for my iPod. It is made from TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane), which is a mix between rubber, silicon, and plastic. It has the flexibility and durability of rubber and silicon, but has a plastic feel to it, and does not attract dust. This combination makes for an awesome material for a case.

Fit:
    8/10

The case is easy to install and takes seconds, and for the most part fits perfectly. Because the iPod Touch 4's screen is slightly raised from the chrome, the case grips the iPod at the edges very nicely, and still has a good lay-on-the-table design. The cut-outs for the bottom and camera are precise and nicely positioned. The only thing I did not like was the way the buttons are positioned, but this is mostly due to the shape and position of the buttons itself and the curve they're on on the device itself that makes this a problem. There were few times I missed hitting a volume button, but when you do hit it you feel it. It also adds little to no bulk to the device.

Protection:
    9.5/10

This case does a very good job protecting your device from scratches and daily use. As far as drop protection, the thickness and nature of the TPU material would absorb the shock as it does have a rubber quality to it, but don't expect to drop this from insane heights and have it come out undamaged.

Price:
    10/10

The case itself runs for abou $20 from the manufacturer, which can be seen here: http://www.luxmo.com/p-2215-apple-ipod-touch-4th-generation-crystal-skin-smoke-tinted-design.aspx, but I only paid $8.99 with free shipping from this seller on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...587212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2349wt_113. At a price this cheap, you really can't go wrong.

Overall:
    9/10

The only problems I had with this case are the button alignment, and a watermarking problem. This happens with most TPU cases and I fixed it with the baby powder trick: You apply a FAINT amount of baby powder to the inside of the case. To do this, simply shake the bottle while its closed, open it, hold the inside of the case over the bottle, and ever so slightly squeeze the bottle so the powder "smokes" out like a cloud of dust. It is invisible when applied but completely fixes the watermark problem.

I would highly recommend this case to anyone looking for a simple protection solution for their iPod Touch 4th generation.​
  2. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

Looks nice dude i wish they took a little more time to make the camera hole a little nicer but overall looks nice and thin
  3. 2fast4u5

2fast4u5 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Woah, that case looks hot!
  4. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its really nice for those who want a simple style and still want to retain the original iPod Touch look, but want good protection.
  5. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

The 8/10 pic looks like the naked case
  6. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    How bad is the button alignment? Does it make it difficult to press down buttons? How snug is the fit? And what do you mean by watermark?
  7. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The button alignment problem isn't huge, it's mostly due to the natural shape of the iPod and how the buttons are on an extreme curve. You basically have to press them firmly on the same angle theyre on to hit them, you can't just press straight on from the side like a 2nd/3rd generation since those buttons were at the edge and were fairly flat.

An example of what "watermarking" looks like can be seen at 1:20 in this video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUMF6Xd_j8Y
    It basically looks like some water is stuck in between the case and the iPod, the super tiny amount of baby powder absorbs it and is literally invisible.
  8. prof68

prof68 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  9. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. prof68

prof68 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch