[REVIEW] Lights Off

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by spoonforknife, Jan 27, 2009.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Please Register or Log in to view images

You may remember Lights Off, the great jailbreak game, originally a Tiger Electronics "physical" game. Well it's back with a vengeance from Steven Troughton-Smith, available for $1.99 on the App Store. Troughton-Smith is also the developer of the acclaimed Mobile Stack, along with iPhoneDoom, SameGame, and MobileNuker. The graphics for this game are done by Adam Betts.

You can find out more about Steven Troughton-Smith at his website and his blog. You can also follow him on twitter as @stroughtonsmith. You can find out more about Lights Off at its official website.

But enough of that, here's the review.

GAMEPLAY

Gameplay is simplistic. A 5 by 5 grid is on the screen and you duty is to turn off all of the lights. Tapping a light toggles it, along with the four adjacent lights. When all the lights are off, you advance to the next level.

It starts out very easy, with the first two levels requiring virtually no thought. Level 3 hits you with a bang and the learning curve gets really steep. Fortunately, you can restart levels, and you can go on as long as you want to. Plus, when you restart levels, you get this snazzy animation.

Once you get playing for awhile, you start to see patterns and the game gets easier. However, this game is not for the weak-minded. It requires some critical thought, otherwise, you'll just be mindlessly pressing the screen like you're playing Tap Tap Revenge with the entire screen.

8.5/10

GRAPHICS

The graphics in this game are fantastic. The awesome, almost Louie Mantia-esque graphics really add to the slick, retro look. As previously noted, the snazzy animations keep it interesting, and you can see some of the animations at the Lights Off website. There's not much to say about graphics except for the fact that they are awesome.

10/10

STABILITY/BUGS

I haven't found any major bugs, but there are a few errors, such as the developers website (which is listed as his blog). The biggest bug there is (that I have found) is if you press the 'Reset' button multiple times during a restart, the animation repeats itself, conflicting with itself, and flickers. If you do this enough, it proceeds to the next level. So you can technically beat the game without even playing it. It's recorded as '0 Moves' in statistics.

It has not crashed on me yet, and seems to be doing very well in that department.

6.5/10

VALUE

Lights Off is $1.99 and obviously features a limited number of levels. Once you play the levels, you know what to do for each, so gameplay is somewhat limited in that respect. However, because the gameplay is so complicated and requires critical thought, Lights Off's replay value is still pretty good. If you don't like arcade games, this is probably not for you, but you should give this great game a try.

8/10

TOTAL

It's stable, it's fun, it's sexy, and the developer is one of the nicest guys I know (on the internet [I had to add that

]). Lights Off has some issues, it has some niggles here and there, and if you don't like arcade-type games, you won't like Lights Off at all. But give it a try, it's only $1.99!

Total Pointage: 33/40
  2. orange.7

orange.7 Member

1.99?
    hmmm....

Nice review though.

3. nikj14

nikj14 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    looks sick, off to buy it now.
  4. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Sweet, the first iPhone game ever, gonna buy it soon.
  5. spoonforknife

You guys should really buy it. This game is getting cracked like crazy and this guy needs the money right now as he's a student. Plus, it's a great game.
  6. Zlatan

Zlatan New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    good review

33/40 = 82...

i'll give it a try...
  7. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    it is a pretty good game. Worth the £1.19 in my opinion.

Not sure if it can "save" your game? But I got to level 12 before exiting to eat some food.

8. spoonforknife

Yeah, it remembers what level you were on, but not the full progress. I sent this review to Steven and he said that the major bug is currently being fixed. Yay.
  9. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I bought this game for a friend, but i was never a fan of it. it just isn't my cup of tea.