[Review] Last.fm for iPhone

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Mindfield, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

App name: Last.fm
    Developer: Last.fm
    iTunes Category: Music
    Price: Free

Up here in Canada we can't enjoy apps like Pandora or AOL Radio. (Bite me, RIAA) Fortunately, Last.fm is one of those stations who've worked out the perils of online broadcasting and the RIAA's BS and are broadcasting in Canada, so at least I can review it.

I know there are a lot of Last.fm users here, so you'll probably like this app.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The main menu gives you a number of options. You can start a new station, check the recommended radio stations, check out what stations other people are listening to view your most recently created stations, check the music charts, artist events, or go over your friends list. Generally speaking, it's pretty much like Last.fm's site. At the time of this writing, there were no recommended radio stations or neighbour radio stations available to check out -- it's still a new app, after all.

Creating a radio station is quite simple. Tap "Start a new station" from the main menu, then simply enter an artist you'd like to listen to. If found, your artists, and close matches, will appear in the search list below. Tap on your artist, and away you go.

The main play screen is more or less what you'd expect. You get some relevant watermarked imagery backing up artist info, a song progress bar, a link to buy the song through iTunes, and a button to share with your Last.fm friends. The shuttle menu is pretty simple: Heart to give the song the thumbs up (and therefore keep it in your station's lineup), nought to pan it and axe it from the playlist, a play/stop button, and a next track button. The main menu along the bottom offers access to artist bio, the similar artists list, the artist events page, and a tab for additional features.

The Bio page gives you a Discogs-like biography of the artist you're currently listening to, which is pretty cool if you're fed an artist you're unfamiliar with but like and want to know more about.

Last.fm's Related Artists routine isn't quite the same sort of organic, community-built, descriptivist approach to finding other music you might like that Pandora is, but it gets the job done. I found that the artists it picked up from my initial search were, if not perfectly matched, at least nothing I'd end up skipping over too quickly when their music comes to the front of the playlist queue, and most of it was stuff I liked anyway. Your mileage, based on musical preferences, may vary, of course.

So you're really digging one of your favourite artists just now and you want to find out if and when they might be coming to your town. Here's where you'll find the artist's planned events. It's a nice little touch that brings a kind of completion to the artist promotion package.

The More tab has a couple of extras...

The tags page gives you a breakdown of the most popular tags...

...while the Top Listeners page lets you know who the most freakishly devoted Last.fm users are.

Overall, I'm quite fond of this app. It faithfully gives you most of the Last.fm features and does a good job of queuing up music you'll probably like. For those who want more than just Pandora and AOL and a few international stations -- or who don't have access to Pandora and AOL because they're not in the US -- you'll definitely want to check this one out. Two thumbs up and a 5/5.

And before you ask, no. You can't scrobble. Not yours.
  2. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

fancy review
    mine was just a news lol
    nice job
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

CRAP! Wrong sub-forum. Could a mod please move this to apps? Thanks.

I've got a nasty head cold. That's my excuse. You can't take it from me.
  4. robshoy

robshoy New Member

No way to scrobble tracks? Jeez, that's a major bummer. It's probably the SDK's fault, not the dev's, but still, that's like, the main function of last.fm for me.

5. errrick

errrick Active Member

I'm pretty sure Sam (the author of this app) already has its 2.0 version of MobileScrobbler ready to be released when 2.0 JB comes out
  6. jok666

jok666 New Member

Have been waiting for Last FM, on iPod for ages!

Hoping for scrobbling soon.
  7. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    great review
    shame the app doesn't have scrobbling :/
  8. Kevdanclay

Kevdanclay Banned

aol radio has better channels
  9. kurtisboyd

kurtisboyd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, but not everyone can use it, can they?
  10. Conya

Conya Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I can't find last.fm on the iTunes Store.. O_O