[REVIEW] Knight Creations Gold iPod Back

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Swikity, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Swikity

Swikity New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Alright, I've seen a review on a gold back, but not from this particular website. The company is called Knight Creations.
    The website I ordered it from was http://www.gigapascal.com/DIY.html

First Impressions

I opened the box to find the case.
    It's stunning, really. The case is so shiny that I think it's even more mirrored than the original iPoT back case.
    It also came with all of the laser engravings, including all of the info on the bottom of the case.
    The first thing I did was grab scissors out of the kitchen drawer and attempt to scratch the inside of the case.
    It scratched, lol. And it didn't wipe off.
    Despite the websites claims that the case is made of extra-durable TiN metal, a coating that covers drill bits, it scratched.
    I then tried scratching the top corner of the FRONT of the case lightly with a key. It scratched even easier than the back did.
    The back also came with two guitar picks to assist in opening the case and to my surprise, it didn't come with a screwdriver to remove the inside parts attached to the case.
    I'm not sure what kind of company sends guitar picks as a substitute to the actual opening tools.

Disassembly

The instructions that came with the case were clear enough, but they were very difficult to perform.
    Honestly, I would rather not ever do that again.
    Removing the back from my iPod was perhaps the most frustrating thing I've done in a while.
    On top of that, the guitar picks would just flake away when I wedged them in, and eventually pieces of them would get stuck INSIDE my iPod.
    I ended up having to take an hour long break to release some steam and to let the blisters on my hands heal a little.

I also ended up completely breaking the gold WiFi contacts off of the inside while trying to undo the snaps. I thought I had fixed it well enough, but my WiFi doesn't work anymore. Also, somehow one of the guitar picks damaged the USB connection on my iPod, so it won't charge or transfer music anymore. I am certain that if the proper tools were included this would have been avoided.
    Now I have to completely go through the grueling process of taking it apart all over again so I can try to repair it.
    If anyone knows of any fixes to these problems, please let me know

Please Register or Log in to view images

Transfer of Parts

Well, since the "complete do it yourself kit" didn't come with possibly the most vital part of doing it yourself I had to use a pocketknife to remove the impossibly tiny screws. The screws on the inside were tinier than any screwdriver I had.
    Only issue with the transfer was that the frame around the WiFi hole was bent a bit and I had to bend it back into place (I found out later that I must have bent it wrong, because I figure it's not making good enough contact with the gold piece on the inside).

The transfer wasn't too bad for me.

Re-Assembly
    Re-Assembly was easy enough, just snapped that baby back in there.
    My power button clicks perfectly.

Final Review

You have to take into account the price difference between this and the DarthPod one.
    Even though it was $39, I would pay the extra money to buy a case from DarthPod or a more reliable source.

Here's a picture of it:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Feel: 4/5 -Sales pitch was entirely misleading. The case scratches just as easy, if not easier than the original iPod touch back. Feels nice though.

Look: 5/5 -It looks amazing, actually. It's so shiny, the mirrored finish is unreal.

User-Friendliness: 1/5 -Guitar picks? I would have preferred to have the actual opening tools, which I've ordered separately off the internet already. Not to mention they didn't include a screwdriver.

Ease of Assembly: 1/5 -While it's not impossible to get together, I would not recommend this to many people. I have experience modding electronics and I found this a very brutal and difficult task. Let's just say if my battery dies, I'm just buying a new iPod. xD
    The guitar picks also gave me blisters all over my hands.

Overall: 2/5 -Opening an iPod with two guitar picks is frustrating to say the least. The fact that they didn't even include the required screwdriver to complete the mod is quite odd, too.

I've ordered the correct opening tools off of the internet and I'm now thinking about ordering a whole new back from DarthPod also because this one is starting to scratch and be bent from trying to remove it.

Pretty much $39 down the drain.
    Don't order from this website unless you already have the tools.
  2. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That is so much cooler than the DarthPod.
  3. Swikity

Swikity New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The mirrored finish looks cooler, for sure.
    Their idea of a "complete do it yourself kit" is the case and two old guitar picks, though.
    I think the DarthPod is a higher quality.
  4. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    It is I think, darthpod was the fellow who was making the ipod backs, a member of this forum, right? If thats who im thinking it was the ipod backs he made were insanely difficult to scratch.
  5. Swikity

Swikity New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah, his name was GoldFinger on the forums.
    Thing is, he doesn't answer messages on the forums, or emails sent to the address on the website.
    That's what is making me kind of hesitant to buy from him.
  6. joorowned

joorowned New Member

I heard he has been MIA for a while. Beware.