[Review] Isotope - A Space shooter

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Jim Ver, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jim Ver

Jim Ver New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Games
    Released: May 30, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 9.1MB
    Home Page: http://isotope.affogatosoftware.com/

What is Isotope?
    Isotope a space shooter is a retro arena shooter like Geometry Wars and Robotron. Isotope mantains a 30 fps frame rate with more than hundred of different enemies, ships and effects in the game. Your goal in the game is to beat over 30 Champaign missions or beat the global high score in survival mode.

Features
    Isotope features a full campaign mode with over 30 missions and tons of different enemies. And a survival mode where you can fight till the end and try to get a place in the high scores. You earn credits from missions and spend them in a store to expand your arsenal of ships, abilities, modules and satellites. It has 40 different ships to purchase and upgrade. Buy satellites to fight for you on your side and upgrade your ship to increase it's effectiveness.

Interface
    When you open Isotope you see four buttons on top with Credits, Options, Switch User and Share. In the middle you find another four buttons with Campaign, Survival, Garage and Stores. In the credits tap you find the developers of the game. In the options tap you can change things like, background music, sound effects, movement, aiming and accelerometer sensitivity. If you have more then 1 account you can switch from the account in switch user. Share will bring up a tap where you can e-mail a friend or give the developers feedback.

Then the four middle buttons. Campaign is the mission mode you can play more than 40 missions and gain money to buy and upgrade new ships. Survival is a mode where hundreds of enemies come at you and you need to stay alive as long as possible and try to get a place in the high score. In the Garage you can upgrade your ships and view them. In stores you can buy new ships, modules, abilities and satellites. But you are also able to buy new stores and buy better things.

Gameplay
    As said in earlier in the review Isotope is a arcade style space shooter where your goal is to complete the campaign mode, get the high score in survival mode and upgrade your ship, buy new abilities or modules. When I started playing I fell in love with the game. I loved to see the ships blow up and all the effects of the game. The missions are actually planets that you need to buy or unlock. Every planet has it's own map and it's own enemies. At the end of every solar system there is a boss level. When you proceed further in the game you need to know what enemies what do. For example there are bombs that explode when you come near them, ships that set a laser path so you are enclosed or special boss ships that shoot a lasers every 10 seconds.

Controls
    The controls in Isotope are really good. At first I thought they sucked donkey dick but later on I discovered that you can change them to your own feeling. You can use the two rounded pads or you can use the accelerometer and point to the enemies to shoot. You are also able to calibrate your device so you can play at any moment.

Visuals
    The visuals in Isotope are just so awesome, when I started the game I realized that there always happens something on the screen. For example on the start screen there are all sorts of effects. On survival mode the enemies can attack you in a pattern. Surprisingly I didn’t encounter any lag or crashes. I think the developers did a great job at the visuals.

Audio
    The audio is good but can become a little repetitive. After playing a while you remember the song and the beats. The shooting effects are always the same. It doesn’t matter which space ship or update you have.

Replay Value
    Isotope has a great replay value due the fact that it has many ships to unlock and many missions. But when you’re done with the missions you can also try to get a place in the global high scores what can be very hard !

Ratings
    Gameplay: 4/5 – You can buy and upgrade ships to your needs.
    Controls: 5/5 – Accelerometer, rounded pads or aiming. You can give your own feel to it.
    Visuals: 5/5 – Always effects on the screen and no crashes or whatever
    Audio: 3/5 – Repetitive background music.
    Replay Value: 5/5 – Done with campaign mode? Don’t worried the survival mode keeps you busy.

Overall

Attached Files:

2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    nice detialed review

the lite version was great also.
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    GGGGGGReat review

There seems to be a lot of these Geometry Wars clones around these days.. there's several in the FF3 giveaway.

edit/ note reviews should be professional (devs as well as members will read them) and as such talk about donkey's appendages isn't really appropriate...
  4. Jim Ver

Jim Ver New Member

Thanks for the comments
  5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    note my edit above. Was great apart from that....