[REViEW]iPod touch 3G review

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by _JKK_, Oct 13, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Note: This review will only pertain to the 32GB and 64GB iPod touch released on 9/9/09, as they are the only two to receive the hardware update. Feel free to read the highlights, this is supposed to be in-depth. Also, this review is based on 1 month's experience; how many other reviews can say that?

iPod touch 3G Review

Or, an intimate month with the newest iPod touch.

Introduction.

Please Register or Log in to view images

iPod touch, browsing the web, composing emails, and viewing maps.

The iPod touch is Apple's idea of a 'Pocket Computer.' It is the iPhone, minus the phone. It is Apple's implementation of multitouch on an iPod, and it is the cheapest way to get into iPhone OS, and the App Store. In its third iteration, the iPod touch has grown faster, more mature, and has gained features that it should have had from the start (thanks to the 3.0 iPhone OS update).

When the 3rd generation iPod touch was announced and released on 9/9/09, it was generally received... negatively. People were disappointed at the lack of a camera (that was all but guaranteed). However, most people came around as the fact that a camera was absent started to sink in.

Three days after the release, I picked up a 32GB iPod touch 3G from Best Buy. Coming from a tried-and-true 1st generation iPod touch, I'd been through the 1.1.x days, the release of the (terribly buggy) 2.0 software update, which contained the App Store, and a year of my using the App Store daily.

• [*]I have experience.

Speed, and the other Updates.

As a device that is mostly focused on speed, its fitting that the first thing I noticed was just that. This thing is much faster than my 1G, and notably faster than my brother's 2G. Once you pick it up, you will notice it, and if you play with it for a while, it will be hard to go back to any other iDevice.

The RAM upgrade is very nice, as Apple has forced the oh-so-useful FreeMemory app off the App Store. Also, when the jailbreak for the iPod touch 3G is released (hopefully, within a few weeks), the iPod should run extra smooth, thanks to double the RAM available to the system. You should finally be able to play a video as your background without grinding your device to a halt!

I haven't been able to test the new, much more powerful graphics card in the device, but it is going to help propel the quality of games on the iPhone OS platform significantly. This new graphics chip should help bring the quality of games closer to devices like the PSP and Nintendo DSi.

• [*]Its fast, easily matching the 3G.
      [*]Double the RAM will make it so that you need not reboot as often to stop choppy behaviour.
      [*]Graphics card update will enable future games to look even better, rivaling the PSP and Nintendo DSi.

[*]These small updates do leave a little to be desired...

iTunes, and the iPod within.

The iPod touch 3G is connected with Apple's great iTunes 9, which includes the iTunes Music and Videos Store, the iTunes App Store, and iTunes U. The iPod touch is one of the most connected devices on the market. With all of these features, though, comes a couple of negatives; mostly, you are very reliant on iTunes for most things. Want to backup your music easily? iTunes. Having problems with your iPod? Restore with iTunes. This seems nice, to have all of these things so readily available via iTunes, but if you aren't on Mac OS X or Windows, it can become annoying.

Since the iPod touch is an iPod, after all, it has to live up to being the best media player on the market. Does it? Yes and no. It certainly is one of the best-connected, most easily usable music and video players, but the sound quality leaves something to be desired, when compared to other MP3 players, like the Sony Walkman series, which is cheaper. However, for most people, the difference will be hard to tell, although it is there.

The iPod touch 3G has an updated screen, being noticeable better quality when placed by the 2G iPod touch. However, at least in the short term, the iPod touch 3G could have a much better screen if OLED had been used.

• [*]iTunes Music and Video store, iTunes App Store easily available.
      [*]Over 8 million songs at your fingertips.
      [*]Easy to use music player.
      [*]Better screen than its predecessor.

[*]Sound quality not as great as other MP3 players.

Outside Hardware (or, look and feel).

The iPod touch provides a very nice pocket-computer experience, although there are some features lacking.​

On the outside, the iPod touch has stayed the same as the 2G. However, I wouldn't say that as a negative. The iPod is still sturdy, still sleek, still cool. The back scratches easily (as always), it still feels great in the hands.

However, there were some complaints of the backlight leaking. That isn't a great sign for a company of such renowned build quality as Apple.

Honestly, here, there isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about the 2G. The design is great.

• [*]The design is great, great feel, great look.
      [*]Design is the same. Hopefully, this isn't a sign of Apple getting lazy.

The iPod touch is a capable gaming device.
    Battery Life.

I hate to try to gauge a brand new devices battery life, because the battery only goes down from there. However, in any case, unless you will be listening to music for days, the touch will work just fine in battery life for music playback.

In video playback, the iPod touch isn't a great performer. I am a little disappointed by it here, but it isn't terrible. I admit that I haven't watched to many movies on it thus far, though.

For gaming, the device performs very well for an iPod touch, but compared to a dedicated gaming device (PSP, Nintendo DSi), it falls flat on its face. Don't get this device expecting it to last hours upon hours playing your favorite game. It won't happen. It will last about 3 hours.

In web browsing, the iPod touch 3G does well for battery life. Don't worry about where the charger cable is for this.

• [*]Battery life is good for music playback.
      [*]Web Browsing battery life is very good.

[*]Video playback battery life leaves something to be desired.
      [*]3D gaming battery life is good compared to past iPod touch models, but falls on its face when compared with devices like the PSP or Nintendo DSi.

Buying advice.

Chances are, if you are reading this, you are interested in buying. Below, I have my advice, based on different circumstances...

First time iPod touch buyer: Yes. If you have the money, go for it. The time is right, you won't regret your choice at all.

1st Generation iPod touch owner: Once again, yes. Trust me, you don't know how slow your iPod is until your try the 3G. You won't regret it either.

2nd Generation iPod touch owner: Maybe. If you have no particular reason to upgrade (space, something is broken, etc...) then you have no real reason to. I'd say no, in most cases, unless something is broken.

Everyone else: Once again, a specific reason to purchase would be needed to justify it. If you are an iPhone owner, unless you need more space, why?

• [*]First time buyer: Yes.
      [*]1st gen iPod touch owner: Yes.

[*]2nd gen iPod touch owner: Depends, see description for more info.
      [*]Everyone else: Specific reason, see description.

The new Voice-Control feature.

Conclusion.

Despite not getting a camera, Apple's top iPod still came out nicely ahead of the competition. The seemingly small, incremental updates that it has really show their worth in everyday life. I can honestly recommend this to any and all people who are thinking about buying this iPod, the updates truly shine in day-to-day usage.

The best way to describe this device is:

Evolutionary, not Revolutionary.

• [*]Evolutionary, not revolutionary.
      [*]Evolutionary, not revolutionary.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Please post any thoughts on the review itself, this is a learning experience for me as well... Thanks for your time!
  2. ipodtouch is dabest

ipodtouch is dabest Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nice review

looks like you put a lot of time into it
  3. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Only about 2 weeks... But yeah. Thanks!

Also, about 1.5 weeks were in developing the font, style, and layout. This is what I'm sticking with, probably from here on out.

Now we just need some, I don't know, Write To Win competitions....
  4. Aras

Aras New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Very, very good.
  5. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thanks!
  6. 4Holly

4Holly New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Good accurate review. Just upgraded to a 64GB 3Gen from a 1Gen 8GB and couldn't have said it better. Glad I upgraded wouldn't have had I owned a 2nd Gen.
  7. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Glad your liking your newest device!
  8. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    great review...I think you should be an iPtF reviewer =P
  9. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    That'd be nice, eventually, but I need more experience. This is my 3rd review of anything... Still, I'm glad I wrote this one. I have a nice format down for future reviews of basically any type, and I think it is both visually pleasing, and functional.
  10. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice. Great review man! I have the modded battery percentage and enabled the Usage section in General Settings so here is the tested battery life: You may want to add it to ur review.

Music: Actually around 34 hours
    Video around 5 hours
    Safari: 5-6 hours
    Games-
    NFSU and Ferrari GT: 3-4 hours
    Modern Combat:1-2 hours (I wonder how bad that will be once the online multiplayer update comes)
    TTR 2:4-5 hrs (like 2-3 with online multiplayer)
    Asphalt 5 (hehehe):2-3 hours and it has OpenGL 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Star Defense: 3hrs

Just (No offense): I had a 1g too. a lot of people had one. i still have one. i did a speed test between the two. i will post it soon. (kinda repetitive?)