[REVIEW] iDig It: The best game you've never played.

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by _JKK_, Aug 10, 2009.

1. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    iDig It
    By InMotion Software.
    Version Reviewed: 1.2

Please Register or Log in to view images

IDig It, from the makers of the popular game 'Dungeon Defense', is a game based on the concept of the popular Flash game 'Motherload.' iDig It incorporates a 2-3 hour campaign mode, along with various challenges, and an unlockable 'Free Play' mode.

Interface:

Though somewhat bland, the interface is easy to use. It accomplishes its purpose: To get you into the game quickly and efficiently. The Interface works, even though it is not the most beautiful. After the 'New Game' menu is where you can select the game type.

When in the game, and you hit 'Pause', the menu looks exactly like the 'Main Menu', with one exception: There is a small 'Done' button in the bottom left hand corner. Be careful to hit that button whenever you want to play again, because selecting 'New Game' will delete your old game. One complaint with the game is that there is no save feature; there is. Though basic, whenever you quite the game, it is automatically paused. Just tap the screen to continue playing, whenever you want to resume playing the game.

All-in-all, the interface isn't bad, but it isn't the best. The good news is is that the interface isn't what makes the game great.

Gameplay.

Here is where this game truly shines. The 2-3 hour campaign may seem daunting, at first, but it is fun. Pure fun. This is probably the most addictive game I have ever played. Even though the storyline isn't the best (In a nutshell, some Farmer is in trouble with the bank, and transforms his tractor into a digging machine to dig for treasure, and pay off the bank). Anyways, there is an amount of addictivity that is not present in any other game I have played on the iPod touch or iPhone platform.

As you are drilling, looking for treasure, your drill-bit is getting damaged, and you are running out of fuel. You also have a limited cargo space, used to hold whatever you find. To fix the drill, and buy upgrades, you head on over to the shed. Once you are in the shed, a menu pops up, and has options to purchase upgrades, buy dynamite (which is used to blow up rocks, which are placed randomly throughout the map), and to repair your vehicle. To cash-in the treasure, you must stop by the house. To refuel your ship, you must go and sit by the fuel tanks.

The controls take some getting used to. The virtual joystick isn't the best control scheme, but it does work. Perhaps the biggest problem is that the game is in portrait mode, while the controls would probably be most useful in landscape. However, that is only one of 2 control schemes. Instead of using the virtual joystick, you can tap around the screen, and get the same results as if you where using the virtual joystick. The control scheme is as follows:
    Up: Fires the rocket, to propel you upwards.
    Right: Moves the drill to the right.
    Left: Moves the drill to the left.
    Down: Engages the drill to whatever is underneath you.

The controls aren't amazing, but they are quite usable. They merely take some getting used to.

There isn't a ton of strategy in this game... Just go for the treasure. In the campaign mode (and various other challenges), its you against the clock. So go fast, and go smart. The fastest way to lose a game is to damage your ship too much, without repairing it. To slow down damage, use the rocket booster for a moment whenever going down, to soften the landing. It also helps to buy the upgrades when you can, so you aren't wasting time to go back to the shop, or refuel, or drop off your cargo.

Graphics.

The graphics are fine. Don't get me wrong, it looks very well done, but this isn't a game designed to push the capability of the iPod touch. The ship looks good, as does the landscape.

Sound.

The sound effects are good, but I would suggest one thing to the developers; music. This game has no music, instead the silence is occupied by the sound of the engine revving up and down, which can get old, and almost annoying. To disable the sound effects, go into 'Options and Help' at the main menu, and turn down the 'Sound FX.' Then go into the music app, and play whatever music you would like. After that, go back into the game, and play to your heart's content.

Conclusion.

All Apps have their drawbacks. However, iDig It has a fun-factor in it that I haven't seen in any other game I've played on the iPod touch. The controls are really not that bad, but there is a transition period (that lasts all of 5 minutes), but it is no big deal.

Overall, I give iDig It:
    6/10 for the Interface.
    8/10 for the Gameplay.
    6/10 for the Controls.
    7/10 for the Graphics.
    6.5/10 for the Sound.

For the final rating, I give iDig It:

This is my second review... Tell me what I could do to make it better, please.

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Looks decent. So basically you're fighting against the wear and tear of your machine?
  3. Microsoft™

Microsoft™ Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Might want to lay off the bold and big font a bit D:

Other than that, nice review.
  4. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Basically yes, but also the clock.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    But... But... But I like the big font!

5. jbarnes

jbarnes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good review
  6. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Thanks all.

ANyways, what could I do to improve it (next time, that is)?
  7. jbarnes

jbarnes New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe a few more screenshots.
  8. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    From looking at the screenshots it looks like a game called Motherload, Google it and have a play, quite a good game, Nice review tho =)

Edit: sorry, mind slipped off to sleep, didnt notice you mention motherload, ignore me xD
  9. carfreak95

carfreak95 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    looks good
    looks like gold miner
  10. _JKK_

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah, thanks.

It is a lot like other games, but after playing 'Motherload', I gotta say, this is more polished.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Updated it a little bit, fixed some things that were bothering me...