[Review] Icy [Review]

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Ryan, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Today Icy was released. In a nutshell, Icy is a package downloader like Cydia and Installer. However the main key feature of Icy is its speed and sleekness, which i think is trying to mimic that of the AppStore in order to entice people to look at jailbreak as a quick and easy method.

Please Register or Log in to view images

First Impressions.

Ok, so I install this thinking "is this just going to be a cydia replicate with a different GUI". I opened it up and straight away i noticed the quickness it loaded. And i was welcomed with this nice Categories screen. (Not a home page containing anoying ads).

I click on an option and it loads straight away, no waiting time what so ever. Very quick indeed.

I go to install a game. iDefender, never played that, wonder what its like.

Oh wait, there is no "Screenshot" or "More Information" pages. So now im blindly downloading an app that i have no idea what it looks like. Im guessing this is a major let down for when installing themes. Another downside [for devs], just like the desktop application they pushed out last week is that it shows no ads, again losing the developers money. Im just wondering how long it is before devs simply add the blocking code into their repo's for Icy.

However this layout is very nice for the end user and minus not being able to see a screenshot of the application, it is a much nicer feel to download than when using Cydia.

The install process is very nice and sleek, again, taking no time at all to download and no horrible command line code, instead, a smooth installing progress bar.

The search function is just like Cydia, cant say its any faster searching than Cydia because it is around the same.

A nice thing about Icy is that it shows all your packages installed from Cydia and so they work well together. This stops the problem of having two things installed and conflics between the two.

The final thing I would like to comment on is the easy way to delete the apps from within Icy.

And thats my lil review

2. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Question: Does Cydelete work on applications that you install from icy? Stupid question, but I must know...
  3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Aha, nice. This should be useful for people who are deciding between that and Cydia. It even helped me out a bit. Thank you.
  4. lilmikey

lilmikey New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    how do i install this
  5. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

6. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    u cant see the themes urggg
  7. tat.zizzy

tat.zizzy Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When i load it up, the categories tab is empty! what to do? refreshing sources also does not help.
  8. RainbowKT

RainbowKT New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    same with me

9. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Nice the_hit_man! Good job!
  10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    You have to refresh the sources but make sure they have all done refreshing, its not very clear on when they are finished but the refresh icon on the top left should be clickable after it has completly finished.