[REVIEW] iCam Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by PG2, Jun 8, 2009.

1. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iCam

Please Register or Log in to view images

$4.99

What is iCam?

iCam is a helpful app, acting as a baby monitor, a spy cam, and many more things. How can it do all of these, you ask? iCam is an application that can stream audio and video from up to 4 webcams! This can be very useful, being able to see 4 places at once! This review will cover the main features of this application and more. You can check your webcams at home, at work, at school, or anywhere with WiFi!

Setting iCam up

When you first run this application, you will see 4 black squares with a gloss on them. These are the 4 'screens' in which you will see the webcams that you will connect to. You will also see a refresh button, and an 'info' button. You will need to start with your 'info' button to set these up.

An interface comes up labeled 'iCam Options'. There is a login and password text box where you will need to enter your user name and password (duh

), an 'Audio', 'Auto-Lock Override', and 'Auto-Zoom' yes / no boxes. To start off, you are going to want to download the iCam software from:

http://skjm.com/icam

Install the software according to your computer type. (I personally used the BETA for Windows.) When you install the iCam software, set it up, and run the software, you will see something like this:

At the bottom, there is an iCam login and iCam password area. You can put in any name / password as you want, so long as you can remember it. Once you enter your user name and password, if your webcams are not set up, you will want to set them up. You will see what your webcam is seeing in the top left hand of the program if you have successfully set your webcam up.

Once this is working, you are going to want to enter the user name and password on your iPod / iPhone. Make sure you use the same user name and password! Once you enter the user name and password, you can click 'Done'.

Let the page refresh, and voile, you can see your webcam(s)!

Layout

Seeing as there are only 2 ways to get away from the main area on iCam, you can see that this is very simple to use. There are the 4 screens, as previously mentioned, to watch your webcams on. To enlarge a single webcam, all you have to do is tap on the stream of that webcam, which will automatically center that webcam. A BIG mistake on their end is that once you click on the one webcam, there is no way to get back to the other 3 without pressing your home button and re-opening the application.

The only thing I would change, other than the webcam enlargement problem, would be leaving out the blank screens if they are not in use. If, for example, 3 webcams are in use, only 3 would be shown. Catch my drift?

Visuals

This application does not feature many things 'out of the ordinary'. In fact, the only thing out of the ordinary would be what is on your webcam! The backgrounds are black, text boxes white, and buttons either blue or white. They did not put much time into it, but sometimes simplicity is best. I think it could be better with a dark, calming color as a background, maybe a dark red, green, or blue.

Reuse Value

Personally, if anyone was looking for a webcam streaming application, I would recommend this one. It is easy to set up, and easy to use, 2 key factors to consider when downloading an application.

I used to use AirCam, without knowing that there was an alternate, which used to frustrate me. You could only view 1 webcam, and you could only view that webcam in the same WiFi connection! With iCam, though, I feel free. I can look at 4 whenever and wherever I want! Everything is where it needs to be, even though there are only a few things, but that isn't the point. This is a very neat application that is reusable time and time again.

Ratings

Setup - 4/5. For the most part, it is easy to set up, but it gets boring with too many steps. Maybe prompt a user name and password during the installation process? That would help speed things up. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what to do before I figured it out!

Layout - 3/5. This app is easy to navigate, for any age group. . . a definite plus for the sellers. I REALLY hope that they can fix the zoom in problem. That is the why I give the layout 3/5. If they fix it, I will personally change this area to 5/5.

Visuals - 4/5. If they used a darker color as the background, like previously mentioned, I would appreciate that. Not saying I don't like the black.

Reuse Value - 5/5. I love this app, and continue to use it. It's a great app just to check-in on things, if I am not at home. The only problem is how far my webcam cord can stretch!

Overall Evaluation

Even though there are some flaws, the reuse value of this application pulls it up to 4, in my opinion. If you have money to spend, and a webcam, buy this app!

Attached Files:

2. Germany

Germany Banned

Wow, very impressive once again PG2. Great detail and organized layout.
  3. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Oh man. I want to leave my laptops on 24/7 to check what my dog/sis is doing. Getting this.
  4. Germany

Germany Banned

Haha. One of many uses I guess.
  5. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Laggy, really laggy. Not the app itself, but the video stream. Still does well though, I mean, I don't need to see what every little thing my dog is doing outside, just that it hasn't run off/got attacked by crows.
  6. Germany

Germany Banned

Is it better than those ones at the gas station that you see on "World's Dumbest Criminals"? Those ones are like 1 frame per second. Lol.
  7. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How fast is your internet connection? I am sporting a 26 KBPS Download and 3 KBPS Upload, I really want to cry when everything lags.

However, the app itself doesn't lag for me that bad. I would say there is 2 seconds between when I say something and when I can hear it on my iPod. Maybe you think thats bad, but I think it is pretty good. Better then AirCam, at least.

EDIT: How small is your dog? To be attacked by crows, it must be pretty small. My golden retrievers weigh 120 and 80 pounds

Also, about watching your dog, have you ever seen where some guy will put a camera on his dog / cat's collar, and set it up to take a picture every minute? That's what came to mind when I read your first post. Lol
  8. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, a 2 second difference about. The fps is pretty sad imo, it's like... I move, and it just jumps to that position after 2 seconds with barely any transition. It feels more like a picture for every movement.
  9. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The 2 second difference happens to me, but not the jumping from frame to frame. I am not sure what to say for that

Or maybe you could enjoy it as a slideshow.

10. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, it's not really jumping from frame to frame, the transition is just choppy for me.

I have a chihuahua so it's somewhat small. I'm sure it'll get hurt. It's big for a chihuahua but still small. Crows like to eat it's food if he's lazing on the balcony.

I kinda want a wireless webcam to attach to my dog now. Like really.