[REVIEW] HoldEm

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Appstore 2.0, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Okay, i'm going to format this review a bit better than last time so here goes.

Info

Price : £2.99
    Memory : 128MB
    Multiplayer : Yes (wi-fi)
    Publisher : Apple inc.
    Ranked : 4th in appstore
    Average rating : 3.5 in appstore
    Rated : 12+

When i first got the game i noticed the amazing menu display, it looked very professional and it you can tell it was made by a professional. There are 5 options to begin with : Single Player, Multiplayer, Settings, Statistcs and Help.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Above: The menu screen, the music is amazing!

Single player is a very well thought out game, it starts with you picking your location, and there are many to pick from (which explains the huge memory usage), these locations are set out in a cover-flow like menu and include : Garage, Aquarium, Cruise Ship, Paris, Istanbul, Ice Bar, Roppongi, Vegas, Aruba and lastly Dubai.

Above: Paris, one of the many locations in HoldEm
    The whole menu and game is accompanied with smooth jazz-like backing music which is very lovely to listen to and if apple made the song themselves, then bravo!

The games career like mode is amazing, to play in a prestige place like paris you need a certain buy-in amount which is why you start off in the garage. You play from one of two angles, first person or over head, first person includes real video-like graphics and at the moment is unparalled and again explains the 128MB file.

Above: The AI is pretty complex
    The controls are very easy to use, you touch your pile of chips to bet or raise, or you slide your cards if you want to fold.

Above: Me folding my hand by swiping my cards in the middle

In the settings menu you can pick which character you want to play as, these include real life people as far as i can see and you can be a few funny characters such as the boxer dog poker player and an alien. My personal favourite is the man with an eyepatch and an apple logo on his chest.

Multiplayer only works on the same connection. This is still awesome because you can play with some friends if the come round to your house, the question is though : Whats better, real life poker with cards or iphone poker?

Overall i rate this game 5/5 it's flawless except for the size of the file, and once you play the game i'm sure you'd excuse it taking up so much space. This game quite simply, rocks.
  2. scorpion 55

scorpion 55 Banned

cool
    I want this game but I can't have it

3. Freefall

Freefall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    haha, awesome looking game!
    Thanks for the review!
    Downloading now XD
  4. melih

melih New Member

Cheers mate. I LOVE poker. I go away to little tournaments once a week. This game will be awesome. Will definatley be getting it very soon.
  5. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Dude, you'll love this game, it should be a 100% priority if you love poker, actually scratch that it should be a priority if you love games (but it is recommended you know how to play poker lol).
  6. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so many reviews wow
    nice one
    the game is awesome
  7. Vric

Vric New Member

yea the game worth the price.. it's huge, it lag a bit, but it's nicely done.
  8. tipii

tipii New Member

Ok i would also add that there is an even better looking landscape view. (I think the people are corny).

Also the multiplayer isnt worldwide multiplayer. They have to be on the same wifi network.

SO its pretty much LAN Multiplayer
  9. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Yeah, sorry about that i jumped to the wrong conclusion, but i still like playing in portrait dunno why. (i'll edit the review)
  10. tipii

tipii New Member

Ohh we all did. Very misleading.

Oh and i was just mentioning theres a really nice looking landscape mode