[REVIEW] GuitarToolkit

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

Name: GuitarToolkit.
    Coder: Agile Partners.
    Category: Music.
    Price: £5.99, $ ? or ? Euros.
    Want to see it?: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284962368&mt=8

What does it do?

I'm a musical person, and as I was going through the list of music apps I wanted (This, BeatMaker, Pianist... and then my mind wandered to Pool) my dad walked in and said I could have this. Wahoo.

Anyway - what does it do? I'm gonna say it's a "magical" application that ALL musicians should have, regardless of guitar possession or not. It has 4 amazing features:

• Chromatic Tuner (via Mic) for many different tuning styles, including Drop-D and Standard.
    • A set of tones to tune by ear (via speakers).
    • A programmable metromone with Tap-Tempo to get the tempo of any song.
    • A massive chord library featuring over 260 chords.

What's it like?

The Chromatic Tuner.

If you're on an iPod, this will not show up at the bottom. But judging by the screenshot and reviews, it's very accurate. To the nearest cent. Which is accurate.

The Tones.

Sound great. Awkward if you don't have an iPhone because you have to find speakers or plug in headphones but I prefer tuning by ear anyway. The UI is beautiful and reminds me of a certain "MooCowMusic's Guitarist app."

The Metronome.

Haha. I normally use TapTheBeat to get the BPM of a song, but now I think I'll be using this. The metronome is programmed by a slider if you want a certain speed, or if you don't know the speed or are just very good with Tempos... You can tap it into the screen with your finger. A cool feature is, you can turn on a "Flash" option, which flashes the beats.

The Chords.

I'm good with chords. I'll admit. I'm gooood. But sometimes in a song, it asks me to do a D flat Minor Sus4 7th with F# in the bass, and I'll be like WTF?!?!?!

Not a real chord. Don't go flaming and get yourself a ban. But what if you're in need of a nice chord for a song and you don't know it... Let's say... B sus4. Nice chord. But novice guitarist who haven't yet mastered Barre Chords would be a little... confused.. Just tap it in, and voila! There's your chord on a nice interface.

Conclusion.

Beautiful app. It really is a "Toolkit" and you'll no longer need to run around the house looking for a tuner or a piano or a chord book - because it's all in your pocket. I was debating whether to buy this or Pianist because of its price. £6 is very steep for a tuner. You can buy a standalone one for £3. Still, it's a must-have for guitarists and other musicians.

Scores on the boards.

User-Friendliness: 4/5
    Looks: 5/5
    Ease of use: 5/5
    Price: 3/5
  2. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

3. cuartango

cuartango New Member

Guitar app

f***ing amazing!!!! This is what I´ve been looking for in a gadget!!!
    Thank you for the review!
    Saludos desde España!
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

oh wow that looks great - exactly what I need! especially the chord library because although I can learn a song well from tabs, if I'm ever told the chords I am lost. too bad I dont have an iphone, because I like chromatic tuners better than tuning by ear, but still I think this is worth the 7 or so dollars its priced at. (thats the right conversion for euros to dollars right?)

will be getting this!
  5. TmacHot

TmacHot Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    cool nice review
  6. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Bought it. Thanks to you, now my guitar sessions shall be more productive!
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

I cant find it anymore in my appstore! unless I'm missing something its not there... nooooooooooo!
  8. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    It's a shame I don't have an iPhone, and that the iPod doesn't support audio in. This is the application I have been waiting for.
  9. berky93

berky93 New Member

it works on the ipod, but it detects you dont have an ipone and removes the chromatic tuner from the bottom. you can use the tones feature to tune by ear though.
  10. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Hmmph.
    Waiting for my job to buy my iPhone -.-