[Review] GuitarToolKit / GuitarToolKit Lite

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Collateral, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    GuitarToolKit / GuitarToolKit Lite
    A review on the GuitarToolKit Apps from Agile Partners Technologies, LLC​

Released- July 07, 2008
    Seller- Agile Partners Technologies, LLC
    Version- 1.2.2 (iPhone OS 3.0 Tested)
    Space- 5.9 MB
    Requirements- iPod Touch or iPhone OS 2.0 or later
    Cost- $9.99 (FULL) $5.99 (LITE)
    Website- http://www.agilepartners.com/apps/guitartoolkit/
    **I approached Agile Partners Technologies, LLC and took a promo code to review this product.**

Please Register or Log in to view images

GuitarToolKit is a great app, as told by the 4 and a half stars in iTunes. The full version is meant for iPhones and the iPod touch 2G and the Lite Version is meant for iPod touch 1G. It contains most everything needed for on the road as a new or experienced guitar or bass player. It consists of 5 Tabs (4 for the Lite Version) and each has an obvious and unique role. Here is a breakdown of some of the features of GuitarToolKit:

TUNER

**The Tuner is only available for the Full version, the iPod touch 1G does not have a microphone or the ability to utilize one.**

The Tuner can be used in 2 Different ways; either as a chromatic (all notes) tuner or as a tuner for a specific tuning. Their library of tunings make it easy to find almost any tuning you want and set the tuner to pick up for only those notes, making it easier to tune. If you cannot find the tuning you want, or use a unique tuning, or just like using a chromatic tuner, that is available as well.

The Downside is that the iPhone mic or pretty much any mic you can plug into the iPhone or iPod touch 2G is not really good enough to get a good tuning out of. This is more technologie's fault rather than the app's, but it is still important. It would always be better to use a high quality guitar tuner, but if one is not available, this is an acceptable alternative.

Fretboard

Looking to learn a new scale? Trying to transpose a scale to a different tuning? Well, the fretboard tab can help you with that. Its library of scales is MASSIVE. You can pick out almost any scale you want and transpose it to almost any tuning you want. This is helpful in songwriting, transposing music to a new tuning, and just learning new scales.

Metronome

If you need to keep a beat and don't have a drummer or a real metronome, this one is great. It has a wheel to turn to dial in the BPM (Beats Per Minute) and a dial that goes back and forth, like a real metronome. You can customize it with different click sounds and even a flashing light that flashes with each beat. The best part, in my opinion, is thefact that you can tap to the beat, and the metronome will automatically sync and start beating to your rhythm.
    It will lag sometimes, and get off beat, but mostly it does the job well.

Chords

This feature is great for beginners with not a lot of knowledge on music theory. It is also great for those who don't really want to manually figure out how to finger Db aug-Maj7 or other not-so-normal chords. Its chord library is very big with over 260 chord maps and over 1500 variations. It has pretty much every chords you will EVER need. It is way better than lugging around a chord reference book. To be honest, I would buy this app SOLELY on the chords feature.

The only thing i could suggest for this feature is that they implement different tunings into this part of the app. For now it only does chords in standard (EADGBE) tuning.

This app can be used by different types of guitarists, so i will break down its scoring by the level of guitar knowledge.

Novice - 98%
    The chord patterns, metronome and tuner are VERY helpful for a beginning guitarist.

Intermediate - 92%
    Probably won't use the chord patterns or metronome very much, but the scale patterns would be very helpful. The tuner is a helpful thing to have around.

Advanced - 85.5%
    You will most likely have a high quality tuner, so i would probably advise the lite version. You will probably only use the chord patterns and scale patterns for rarely used chords and scales, but at that time, this app is helpful. The metronome is probably not necessary as you either have one or should be able to keep time on your own at this level of expertise.

BUY HERE:

FULL
    LITE

Attached Files:

2. berky93

berky93 New Member

I've had this app for a while, and I love it. I don't need it that much, but its great to be able to look up a chord when I need to or check that my guitar is (generally) in tune when I need to. It's a great app and I highly recommend it.
  3. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    haha i agree. I love this app