[REVIEW] Griffin Nu Form

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kockgunner, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kockgunner

kockgunner New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    The Griffin Nu Form is one of the first cases that came out for the 2nd generation iPod touch. I never really gave it a thought until my iPod became slightly scratched. So one day, I went over to Futureshop and bought this case for $39.99 CAD! It was around $45 after tax and I felt really guilty buying it. But here's a review:

The case comes with a so-so screen protector and a cleaning cloth similar in quality to the one that comes with the 2nd gen. iPod touch:

Please Register or Log in to view images

The Nu Form is a stylish case for the iPod touch 2G. It doesn't add a lot of bulk and looks kind of like an first gen iPhone with the black lower quarter. The case adds little lip around the screen so you can put your iPod face down on a table without scratching the screen. As you can kind of make out in the picture, the seam between the two halves is not totally flush on the front and side of the iPod. In person, there is a bit of chrome showing--not enough to get scratched, but enough to visually annoy you. Also, the curve of the case doesn't match the curve of the iPod touch, exposing the rubber insert around the screen:

The gray area of the case is just hard plastic which features a neat design printed on it, while the black part is a hard grippy rubber material. The two halves fit together snugly and won't fall apart if you shake the iPod, but also is very easy to remove when you want to dock the iPod. I forgot to take a picture of the bottom, but bottom openings are cut out well and I had no problem plugging in a dock connector and a pair of headphones in. Unfortunately, I don't have a iPod dock to test out.

It would've been cool for the whole case to be rubberized but I guess that would make it too similar to the Incase Slider.

What I don't like about the case is the part were the two halves meet. The bottom of the gray part of the case has some white marks on it as if it were stretched due to the bottom part of the case being inserted between it and the iPod itself and subsequently turned whitish:

Also, the accessibility of the buttons is a bit tight. I can imagine if you have larger fingers that it might be harder to press them:

[UPDATE]: one more picture I forgot to add:

2. kockgunner

kockgunner New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    [REVIEW] Part II

Now this is a part that angers me a bit. Every time you put the case on or take it off, it scratches the back of your iPod because the back actually contacts the metal of the iPod. Unlike the Incase Slider, there are no rubber strips in the case to keep the plastic case from rubbing against iPod's metal body. The oil streaks show which parts the case is contacting the iPod. The camera did not pick it up, but there are now long faint scratches along the back of my iPod.

I stupidly took the case on and off to see if I was actually scratching the iPod and lo and behold, it was. There would be no problem if one did not constantly remove his/her iPod from the case, but even so, the lack of rubber rails in the case makes this case not very shock proof.

In the end, I returned this case because I knew I would not be happy with it if I kept it. Personally, I don't think it's worth $45. The overall feel of the case is OK--there is no plastic sticking out from the manufacturing process, but the grey plastic feels cheap and the 2 pieces of the case don't fit together snugly. The bottom part slides out of the top part about a millimeter and needs to be pushed back in often. Also, the supplied screen protector is not cut totally off, but is not great either. I would not recommend this case due to the high price, poor fit of the two halves of the case, and the little shock protection that it offers.
  3. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This is really, really long! Excellent!

EDIT: I put this on the front page! Great review.
  4. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I have one of these cases, Its brilliant but yes it does scratch your iPod, I tried to take it off and ripped the case...

Still, Its a good case.

LOOK TWO POSTS DOWN FOR BETTER PICTURES!

*continues trying to fix stuck pixels*
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Your camera should have a macro setting which makes close-up pictures much more clear.
  6. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    As you can tell by the scratches... Im pretty pissed. I think I would have gotton less scratches without a case!

Theres more scratches than on that picture, Theres a few on the side and they're pretty deep.
  7. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah Love the review Thanks!

It seems as the case makers are making sure we have access to our ports which is really cool.
  8. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Case is awesome
  9. robbo1066

robbo1066 New Member

Cool, I'm off to the apple store tomorrow mornin to buy a case, and piss my bank manager off...
  10. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    my friend has the same one and it digs deep scratches in it