[Review] Grado SR80i

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by NinjaBurrito, Aug 10, 2010.

1. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Grado SR80i!

Hello headphone section! I recently got into high end audio, and I felt like it's time to review some of my headphones. In the coming days, i'll be reviewing a couple headphones/IEM's, like the Audio Technia M50S's, the Klipsch Image S4's, and down the road, the Fisher Audio DBA-02's. But for now:

I'll be using 3 categories for this review -

- Build Quality
    - Comfort
    - Sound Quality

1. Build Quality

The build quality of the Grado SR80i's is exceptional. As you can see in the picture, there is a sorta rod moving mechanism for adjusting the headphones length. The headband is a leather strap, that isn't very comfortable, but more about that later. The headphone cups can rotate about 10 degrees up and down, which means they can "form" to your head. Overall, they are solidly built phones, that haven't given me any trouble so far.

2. Comfort

These headphones can be comfortable. The leather headband is far to thin, both thickness wise, and width wise. It really is the most uncomfortable part of the headphones. Other than that, they really fit nicely. The foam earpads are nice and lush, (for being thin foam by the way), and the cups form to your head, providing extra comfort.

3. Sound Quality

Alright, for this section i'll be using 4 songs for referenece -

Rush - Digital Man

She Has A Girlfriend Now - Reel Big Fish

Reinventing A Challenge For Machines - The Mercury Project (Sorry no Youtube Link)

Take Five - The Dave Brubeck Quartet

Highs - The highs on the Grado's are what impressed me the most. They really tend to "sparkle", as in they are incredibily clear, even at super high notes. On Reinventing a Challenge, the high, piercing notes of the lead guitar really shine through the headphone, and get placed front and center, really focusing your attention on them. In She Has a Girlfriend, the high trumpet notes blast through, cutting the music straight down the middle with an intense trumpet sound.

Mids - The mids are what I consider the weak point of these headphones. On Digital Man, the bass notes really seem to get muddy, and mix into the lead guitar, making it harder to distinguish them out. On Take Five, the sax really sounds smooth, but also, the fast passages throughout seems to be muddled.

Bass - Ah, bass. What everyone mostly cares about. In short, it's there when you want it to be. In long, it performs very well on rock and other genre's that don't have extended bass sections, but really doesn't shine when bass notes are extended. If you listen to alot of electronic music such as drum and bass, dubstep, filth, grime, etc., stay away from these. But, if you mostly listen to rock, jazz, pop, etc, you will find these headphones sufficiant in the bass catagory.

So there we go, a little review on the Grado's . This headphone has really grew on me, and now I consider it my favourite headphone. Thanks again for reading.

P.S. My first review. Win/Fail?

P.P.S. Don't mind my cat.

2. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
  3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    nice review, try adding a final scores section at the end to sum it all up
  4. bananaman22

bananaman22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Great review, but about the comfortable part... Have you listened to these for an extended period of time (like 1-2 hours straight)? I have these too but i can't listen for more than an hour at a time because they get incredibly uncomfortable, although that could just be me.
  5. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

I wear them for 3+ hours at night, no problems.
  6. bananaman22

bananaman22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hmm, must just be me then.
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have a pair of SR80i's on at this very moment. They've been on for the past 4 hours, and I feel fine (also, I'm wearing my glasses, so I even have those added into the mix).