[ Review ] Go Figure

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Freegoo, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Freegoo

Freegoo New Member

So the theory is that the Touch's screen is too small for a suitable spreadsheet application. Having used my fair share of spreadsheets on the Palm, I can understand this. Go figure attempts to solve this by providing a specialized interface designed to solve customized formulas. Simple idea that works pretty well with a couple of gotchas. It costs $5, but there is also a free version that has a bunch of preprogrammed formulas and allows you to enter three of your own.

Here is what it looks like in the home screen.

Please Register or Log in to view images

As you can see you can create your own folders and organize your formulas any way you see fit (in the lite version you are unable to edit folders and you are only able to put your formulas in the home screen). Let's create a new formula:

Punch in a quick name and then you get to the formula editor:

You start by defining whatever variables you will need to use in your formula and then clicking the add result to define it. Formulas can contain parenthesis and be nested. The formula editor was designed well, and I found myself quickly plugging in several custom formulas that have saved me a lot of tedious calculating at work. It's missing some advanced math functions, but you can still accomplish a lot with what it has.

As you can see, you are not limited on how many results you can have making this an ideal conversion app. Which it just so happens to have a bunch of preloaded formulas for.

It even has a tip calculator, which some devs on the app store seem to think is worth a buck or two on its own!

The program isn't without its faults. The sliders are a real poor choice for inputting values. Unless you have a real small range of numbers it is virtually impossible to get an exact number using the slider. Fortunately the author has a number pad that pops up:

by clicking the little arrow on the right side of the variable. This isn't bad, but I would prefer that he just do away with the slider all together and maybe put some +1/-1 buttons by the arrow. Some people complained about errors in calculations in the review section. The new version is supposed to fix the problems but I never ran across any of the problems so I can't comment on that. Speaking of the new version, the update deleted any custom formulas. The free version only had three, but with the release of the paid version the author better get over that habit. Overall I find this program to be extremely handy though, it's easily worth the $5 and if three formulas are enough for you then it's a freebie!
  2. kolko

kolko New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is it just me or is the bottom half of all the pictures white?
  3. brisingr

brisingr New Member

it's your browser.
  4. Freegoo

Freegoo New Member

Try holding the shift key down and pressing reload, your browser should attempt to reload everything.