[REVIEW] Get Wise 'r Die Tryin'

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Akiyama Mio, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: .99¢

Version: 1.0

iTunes Store link: Get Wise 'r Die Tryin'

Developer: Kim Chi Studios

Application Video: Youtube

Kim Chi Studios had an idea. The idea is not to release another cute little quote book with little warming quotes that make you feel happy for about a minute and a half, but to release a wisdom-delivering machine! Nah, but, the idea is to have a beautifully designed application delivering quotes straight from the mouths of various people.

How it works
    When you open up Get Wise 'r Die Tryin', you're immediately presented with a list of "Authors" of quotes. Abraham Lincoln, Akira Kurosawa, Japanese Proverb, etc. Clicking on an Author will take you too a list of quotes that have been submitted by people. Note how sexy the design is too, one you're looking at a quote.

Some authors have one quote, some have twenty.​

A nice 'ol Gandhi quote. An eye for an eye would make the hole world blind.

And I managed to take a screenshot of an awesome Steven Spielberg quote.

Alrighty, pretty nice quote app so far. Now for the other features! Yes, a quote app, with OTHER features! As seen in the Steven Spielberg quote, there are four options: Email to, Rate, Add to Favorites, and Wiki.
    Email to is somewhat obvious, it allows you to email a quote to any you wish. This opens up Mail.app, with the subject "Get Wise 'r Die Tryin' " and something like the following:

Rating allows you too rate a quote. Yep, you can rate each and ever quote. To rate a quote, simply press "Rate" then move the slider for each star. Here's a quick .gif to show you a quick example.

Favorites. Favoriting a quote put the quote inside of a special section, your "Favorites" section. The Favorites section is simple, it lists all of your favorited quotes.

Now for Wiki. Pressing the Wiki button opens up a Wikipedia article related to the quote. I'm not 100% sure if it opens up the author or something related to the quote, because my iPod doesn't get WiFi where I currently am, but either one is correct. For example, if the quote was from Japanese Proverb, it might open up a Japanese Proverb article.

Top Rated, another section, shows every thing you rated. Only rated one quote? It'll probably show at the very top, because ever other quote is default 1 star.

The Search feature allows you too search various quotes. By typing in a word inside of a quote, it'll display it. Sadly, there isn't an option to search by Author or even date yet.

Yay for searching for NOTHING

Ah. The last feature. Adding a quote. Adding quotes allows for thousands of quotes to be added daily, but also can be used maliciously. "Hm, I'm gonna check out some Albert Einstein quotes..Whoa! I never knew he was in a relationship with -insert man/woman here-". I doubt it's that easy to add quotes, it's probably sent through a validation process or something such as that.

Mmm, Waffles. Who DOESN'T love waffles?[/QUOTE]​

Layout
    The general layout of the app is very simple. A nice GUI lists the quotes, ratings are shown next to the author. Same goes for quotes. The layout of when you see the quote is very nice, and consists of 4 buttons and a traditional background.

A bar on the bottom of the app allows easy access around the app. Press any of the buttons to get to where you wish, and you're there. Not much else about the layout, it's very simple.

Overall
    No ratings this time, guys. I find it hard to rate an app like this. Sorry, I'll eventually learn. Overall, this app is OK. It's not really something I'd go through completely randomly, but if I need some quotes for school work or something, it'll be helpful. The presentation of the way the app is simple, the GUI is nice and user-friendly. When it comes to features, this app generally sums up everything that a quote app needs. Searching, Adding, Rating, Emailing, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ugh. I really really really hated reviewing this. I dunno why, it was just..boring compared to reviewing other things. It took me a while and IMO this review is horrible compared to others. I really am disappointed -_-;

Attached Files:

2. iamkewl

iamkewl Banned

Very nice review!

you need to be one of those member review people
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great review and a wonderful little app.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great review!
  5. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Really? Thanks..

I forgot to add a thumb, I'll add that now. Sorry, I was tired.

6. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    An amazing review once again. A job well done!
  7. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yay! Images! Makes for a relaxed read :3
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Games are always much more interesting to review

Be careful with your spelling errors: to/too, hole/whole etc.
  9. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

That's kinda why I was dreading reviewing this, games are more fun to review. I'll try with the spelling ^.^;