[REVIEW] Gangstar - Amazing 3D GTA clone ~ SumDaii

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by SumDaii, Aug 21, 2009.

1. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks Samm for that banner

Name: Gangstar: West Coast Hustle
    Price: $6.99/£3.99
    Released: 20th August 2009
    Twitter: @Gangstar_game
    AppStore Link: Here

Gang$tar: West Coast Hustle is an amazing, top notch Grand Theft Auto clone made exclusively in 3D for the iPhone and iPod touch platforms. A years work by Gameloft has really lived up to the hype, and unsurprisingly deserved more. It features a full open world for yourself to drive around, explore the alley ways, hijack cars, and even kill fellow pedestrians.

Introduction

In Gangstar: West Coast Hustle, you are Pedro, a gangster who was just involved in a Bank robbery in Mexico, and so you fled to the USA, finding yourself in LA. Typically, it is a ‘coming-of-age’ gangster story. You have to do certain missions such as deliver drugs, hustle hoes and more, which I will explain later.

The Start-Up Screen and the Menu

The menu is just a picture of two people, the main person and another woman. The moving background is a 3D preview of parts of the city. Once you tap the screen, the buttons to tap are very well made in a cartoony font. The font used throughout the game seem a bit cartoony to me, drawing it back a little from the ‘Gangster’ feel.

Controls

The controls in this game are smooth as silk, easy to use and feel great. This obviously depends on which set you choose. When you drive, you have three different types of controls to choose from: accelerometer (tilting left and right) and on-screen pedals, a joy stick to slide left and right and a steering wheel. The tilting-based one feels great, and very realistic, however not very accurate. Say you would like to steer out of a tight spot, when maybe surrounded by the police; you will not be able to, as the tilting only detects a drastic change in level.

This is why I use the on-screen controls. I use the slider, as you can just slide it left and right, whereas with the on-screen steering wheel, you have to slide around.

When you’re on foot, you have the joypad in the bottom-left, and in the bottom right-hand corner, there is the action button. You may attack enemies, shoot people and hijack cars. The action icon will change depending on which action you’d like to perform. These controls, being semi-transparent look very sleek and make the game look overall better.

Gameplay

The Gameplay is indescribable – that’s how I would describe it. However, as there is no sun or day toggle or cycle in this game, it makes the game a little less realistic. With over 5 reasonable weapons, over 5 varieties of vehicles, 50 missions and free roaming in LA in the palm of your hand, Gameloft have really worked hard on the AppStore’s next big hit.

Missions

Well I’m sure many of you think this is the main part, which it possibly is. Those who are familiar with GTA’s missions, won’t be as familiar with these ones. The missions in Gang$tar include shooting other gang members when trying to take their turf, racing, police missions, delivering packages and much more. There are some which even include prostitutes, making me surprised how Apple even approved this.

Free Roaming

Free roaming is simple. Yet the most fun part of the game for me. In my first and only GTA, all I do is free roam. That’s what I was looking for in this game – the city and free roaming. I have to say, free roaming is great. You can hijack any car you wish, shoot anyone down:

...and to make it even realistic: get the cops on you. The police are rough.

Graphics

Payback (the first GTA clone) and CJS (the second) both have different views. Payback is a birds-eye 2.5D view, whereas CJS is the same, but 2D. Gang$tar, being the first full GTA clone has fully stunning 3D graphics. Being made by Gameloft, it doesn’t have the best graphics it could possibly have, but it still looks stunning and VERY realistic. Little details are also included such as little signs like, “Stop here” or “Give Way”.

Display

In the top left you have the map – the map is HUGE with 6 different neighbourhoods. The map rotates as you move, and an icon to represent where the nearest shop or house is.

On the top you have the radio – this radio has 5 stations, each with their own type of music. The radio also has adverts, making it more realistic with a hint of humour. An off button is present. The radio looks very sleek and well done, and easy to use.

In the top-right you have the car’s health and your own – this is very small, taking up very little room, and shaded differently along the health bar. You can tell how much Gameloft have worked on little details such as this.

On the bottom half of the screen there are the action icons and the pedals, as explained before.

More Images (Above Included)

Overall

Graphics – 8/10 – Choppy, but some parts detailed
    Gameplay – 10/10 – Very fun when you’re bored or need LA in your palm
    Missions – 8/10 – Good, fun, variety but get boring after some time
    Free Roam – 10/10 – Do what ever you want in LA!
    Price – 10/10 – You’re stealing Gameloft’s money
    Speed/Loading Time – 5/10 – Too long, just… too long.

Overall Score - 9/10 - It deserved more hype, more than MiniGore

Attached Files:

2. The7thWitness

The7thWitness New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    awesome review it shows you put effort into it.
    i cant believe you use "day" and not "daii" in it lol

once again great work!
  3. ipodtouch2guser

ipodtouch2guser Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    This game is siiiiiickkkk I cnt put it down... Sumdaii nice reviewww
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review mate! You got it up extremely fast as well... great job.. we were going to review this this weekend but now... well we'll have to see

edit/ added a thumbnail for you
  5. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    When not in SafeMode this game lags and freezes like crazy :/
  6. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks... I wrote this review straight after my iPod died of battery, after 13 minutes of gameplay of this game.

@The7thWitness In my reviews I don't spell it as 'daii'

7. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    OMG YAY thanks

9. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're probably correct and it deserved more hype than Minigore, but we had ad-hoc builds for Minigore and more assets to drool over pre-release... Gameloft should get preview builds of their games out to sites in future...
  10. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree. I heard about you guys trying to get the preview build of Gangstar.

Maybe it's because Gameloft are such a big company... :/

Well sites such as TouchArcade got to play a build of it, maybe iPtF should...