[Review] Galcon

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by drakness, Jul 18, 2008.

1. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Title: Galcon
    Price: $9.99
    My Rating: 7/10
    Videos: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2SQziSkSoTQ
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=3WWRCqwtNjw [I didn't make this one]
    App Store Description: Galcon is an awesome high-paced galactic action-strategy game. You send swarms of ships from planet to planet to take over the galaxy.

Loading Screen

Please Register or Log in to view images

Galcon is a pretty basic strategy game that is INCREDIBLY easy to learn. It has 10 different difficulty settings, making this game easy for beginners to pick up, and providing icredible challenges for expert players. However there is NO SOUND in the game. So you will probably want to listen to music or something while playing.

Main Menu Screenshot

On top of 10 different difficulty settings, Galcon also provides five different game modes. The gameplay maps "seem" to be randomly generated. Although that may not be true. The menu has large buttons, so it's near impossible to accidentally select the wrong thing. It also has a help button for a little extra info on how to play the game. To choose your difficulty you simply drag your fringer from left to right.

Classic - You versus a single computer. Both of you start with one planet.

Stealth - You versus a single computer. Both start with one planet. The enemies ships will not be visible. Icreasing the challenge.

Vacuum - You must conquer all the planets before the timer runs out.

Beast - Although the game doesn't have a description for this mode, you start off with two planets, each with 100 ships. The enemy starts with 10 planets, each with two ships. (Changes depending on difficulty) You have to survive and capture all of the enemy planets while facing an almost constant assault.

3-way - Same style gameplay as classic mode, however with 2 computers instead of one, making it a 3-way battle. (Hence the name.)

gameplay screenshot

The gameplay is pretty entertaining and SO easy to get the hang of. You will quickly begin to develop different strategies.

edit: Gameplay also runs extremely smooth. Even with massive amounts of ships on screen and playing music, I have had absolutely no slow down.

Basic Gameplay - You are the green player. All other colors are enemies. To attack, drag from your planet, on to an enemy planet. The size of a planet indicates its production rate (or how fast it builds ships.) The number on the planet shows how many ships currently occupy it. To win, take over large planets with a few ships first.

You can also select several planets at one by tapping your planets individually before dragging your finger to the desired target. You can also change the percentage of ships leaving your planet to attack.

Depending on your difficulty level, the number of enemy ships on a planet may or may not show.

This game does have the ability to pause, by hitting the pause button in the upper right. That will bring up a menu that lets you resume your game, restart it, get a new map, or go back to the main menu.

The number in the bottom right shows how many of your ships will leave a planet when you order them to attack an area. You can change that number by tapping it. It changes by multiples of 25%.

The icon in the upper right represents the difficulty level you are on.

If for whatever reason you hit the home button and exit Galcon, it'll pick up right where you left off (paused if in the middle of a game) the next time you load it up.

Overall opinion - If you have a spare ten bucks, buy it. It may not be worth the price tag to everyone, but it will probably be worth it for hardcore strategy gamers. If your not a hardcore strategy gamer (or just cheap), I'd reccomend waiting around to see if there's a price drop. The lack of sound may be a turn off for some people. I would also LOVE to see multi-player. And for the people bothered by no sound, you can always listen to your music.

2. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Have you seen any slow down at all in the game, even when theres tons of ships all over? I didn't see anything about it in your review...
  3. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You didn't see it because the game runs VERY smooth. Even with a ton of ships on the screen.

edit: I even just now tried to get as many ships as possible on screen. With MASSIVE amounts on screen I experienced no slow down whatsoever. Even while running music in the background

4. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This application looks very cool! Thanks for the great review

5. skatedude0816

skatedude0816 New Member

I just got it, and it's awesome!!!!
    Great review

6. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Would it be possible to get a video of it being played on an ipod? I want to see how quick it is compared to the PC version...
  7. drakness

drakness New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I guess I could do that real quick. Just give me a few minutes.

edit: uploading to youtube now
  8. skatedude0816

skatedude0816 New Member

There is absolutely no slowdown at all.
  9. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks a lot man! This will determine if I buy it or not. I'm really liking the PC version!
  10. MicroByte

MicroByte New Member

Aaaargh, and I was SO trying to be good... Guess I'll have to cave in...

Thanks drakness!