[Review] Friendz

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by mikec1985, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Friendz

Please Register or Log in to view images

Price: $1.99
    Developer: Thermo Global Nuclear War
    Publisher: Published by dev
    Version: 1.1.5.3
    File Size: 0.2MB

What is Friendz?
    Friendz is a simple, easy to use Xbox Live friend’s list utility developed by Thermo Global Nuclear War and is basically the iPhone version of the popular mac application. Friendz may not be the best Xbox Live utility but it does have one thing that no other Xbox Live iPhone app has....

Features/Controls
    Friendz has some great features and is where I believe picks up where it lacks (UI). First of all when you launch Friendz it doesn't just load the friends you have entered in the app. With Friendz you sign in directly to xbox.com so your complete friends list is automatically loaded along with gamer pics and their current activity. From your friends list, simply select a friend to view their gamer card info such as: status, name, motto, location, bio and their avatar. You can also remove a friend and message a friend while viewing their gamer card info. Yes I said remove a friend! Since you are connected through xbox.com, with Friendz you can remove and add friends as you please. And yes I also said message friends! Again, since you are connected through xbox.com, Friendz has the ability to send and receive messages directly inside the app, no redirecting to safari. Simply tap the Messages tab and reply to a message or enter a gamer tag to message. It is very easy to use! It only takes a few seconds for the recipient to receive the message and about half a minute to receive one.

Graphics/Presentation
    As I mentioned above graphics is where Friendz lacks. Friendz has a very basic UI. The friend list is like most Xbox Live applications, it shows their name, their gamer pic and what they are currently playing. The gamer card info is vary basic as well, probably as basic as it gets. The Message page is a little better with bullets next to each message along with the message displayed and a new message button at the top right.

Cons/Pros

Pros
    - Sign in directly to your xbox.com account
    - In app messaging

Cons
    - UI

Final Thoughts
    Friendz has the potential to be big but with the lack of UI and the occasional bugs it has its downfalls. At $1.99 I think it is a dollar too high at this point, maybe in the future.

Rating

Attached Files:

2. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nice review. Good to see some of these other social networking systems getting ported to the iPhone. I just wish Valve would open up the APIs for Steam chat so we could have a port of that...
  3. Matimac

Matimac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Oooo, interesting. Might get it. Can you play and send messages at the same time via the app? Because typing on the xbox keyboard is a drag.