[REVIEW] Driver™

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Hackey_Sack, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I am required to let you know that I got this $4.99 app on sale for $0.99.

REVIEW AT A GLANCE:
    Very good idea, excellent execution.​

Gameloft isn't exactly known for horrible applications. With games like N.O.V.A., Asphalt 5 and Assassin's Creed - Altair's Chronicles under their belt, they've built up quite a reputation for themselves. Of course, you need more than a reputation for greatness, you need consistency. That's where Driver comes in.

In Driver, you play an undercover cop by the name of Tanner. In a bit of a twist on the 'undercover cop' story, only one person on the force knows, so you're still considered a dangerous criminal by the police. Your job is to drive criminals to and from crime scenes, deliver stolen vehicles, and (in one notable mssion), piss someone off enough to follow you into a trap. Basically, when someone needs a ride, you're who they call.

(Please note that Driver is a remake of a PS1 game I've never played, so it has no bearing on this review.)

Please Register or Log in to view images

That's one menu that's easy on the eyes. Wow!

That's a lot of menu options! Fortunately, you'll usually find yourself using the first two, but here's a quick description for all of them:

• Undercover
      • Story mode
    • Take A Ride
      • Sandbox mode (in 4 huge cities)
    • Training
      • Learning the controls
    • Driving Games
      • Minigames involving everything from tracking down a target to breaking as much stuff as possible
    • High Scores
      • Really? REALLY?
    • Options
      • Changing things like difficulty, language, etc.
    • Extras
      • Profiles and cheats

Gameplay

This a scene that you'll see fairly often throughout the game. With your Felony meter at full and your damage meter low, you'll have a hard time getting where you need to be, but chances are you'll survive the trip. As you can see, the radio station you're listening to is listed at the top (more on that later), your steering, hand brake and Burnout controls are at the left, and your gas and brakes are at the right. The map and speed are in the top left- and right-hand corners, respectively. The controls are very responsive and work as well as they can. There are two more control schemes available (accelerometer and virtual joystick), but this is the default and I find it works the best. You may have your own opionion.

SCORING:
    Using Official MR Team Review Scoring System

Presentation & Graphics
    The iPod Touch/iPhone isn't really the best at 3D graphics, but Gameloft did their best and the game looks stunning. There is the odd graphical glitch (trees that look the same from every angle, pedestrians running through walls, etc.) but many of these just make the game more amusing. The cars themselves are gorgeous in a way that just doesn't come across in screenshots, and everything really looks just as it should.
    Score: 5/5

Audio
    I REALLY like the audio in this game. There are three radio stations (four if you include "Off"): S.O.W.L. FM, K.U.L.T. FM, and C.U.T.E. FM. K.U.L.T. FM is my favorite because I like that sort of music, but you may have your own preference. However, unlike most in-game radios, Driver's stations have bits of speech between songs, just like an actual radio. And boy, do these DJs have a sense of humor. In addition to the music, you can even hear the cops over their radio: "Suspect is heading east!" "Suspect has hit another vehicle!" "Suspect is heading north!" "We lost 'em!" (My personal favorite is when I'm driving a stolen vehicle at 114 mph and hear them say "Suspect has run a red!") I also like listening to my own music, but it does bother me that although the capabilities are programmed into the game (it automatically sets the radio to off and turns off all game sounds), you have to jump through hoops to use them. If jailbroken, iPodPop from Cydia will work wonders, otherwise lock your iPod on a loading screen and double tap home on the lock screen. You can't go into the game with music on, as there's sound in the opening cutscene. Regardless, I give this section...

Gameplay and controls
    As I've already stated, the controls in this game are great. The on-screen buttons are intuitively placed, and they respond just as they should. The gameplay is great, too. Dodging cops really can't get more fun than it is now.

Replay Value
    Two words: Sandbox mode. Everywhere you get to go in story mode is completely available for use in sandbox mode. (Of course, you have to unlock the second half of them, but 'Replay value' concerns playing it after already beating it.) This alone constitutes a 5/5 in this category. And then there's the option of playing again on a harder difficulty level. This one's really no question.

Value for money
    This one is where I have a bit of doubt. As previously mentioned, I got this app on sale for $0.99, and if it went back to that I'd give it a 5/5 here easily. However, I wouldn't spend $4.99 on an app without some serious thought. I think it's worth it, but I can imagine some people disagreeing.
    Score: 4.5/5

OVERALL:

5/5. Yup, it's that good. Driver is easily the most played app on my iPod, and I would recommend it to anyone who asked. If anyone from Gameloft is reading this, congratulations. You've really outdone yourselves. And knowing Gameloft, that's saying something.

Attached Files:

• Icon.png
      Icon.png
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  2. tshah21

tshah21 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Very nice review, I may download this because the free version exceeded expectations. Thank you for this review!

3. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I love this game, but I think the graphics could be improved.
  4. dannaz94

dannaz94 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    this is very much like the ps1 version and i loved that version adn i love this version almost as much
  5. romitkin

romitkin New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for the useful review!
  6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Thanks. I really like it. Going to leave a review.
  7. n0va

n0va Banned

Very nice review, i like how you have it set out, makes me actually want to read it
  8. Just_For_Now

Just_For_Now Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I got this when it was free. Meh, don't really see how it is fun.
  9. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Great review

I love this game as well. If you've lived in the 70s, you'll appreciate the game even more. This was the decade the cops were finally banned from shooting at a suspect who is running away...on foot. Now we have to lock our doors.

What wasn't mentioned was that the cops will ram into you, back up and run into you again, with no regard to other drivers. They'll ram you into another vehicle and the police will yell on the radio, " Suspect has hit another vehicle!". As they are ramming into you, swirling your car around in circles, they yell their updates, "Suspect is heading...west!"..." Suspect is heading...south!"

All of this, mind you, is when you are sitting quietly in your vehicle.

Two tips:
    1. In Miami sandbox, if the cop isn't in the vicinity, you can do anything and they won't approach you with L&S. San Frasisco is different. If you do the slightest, they'll chase you down.

2. In Miami sandbox, if you sit there and "take it" from a cop, he'll finally break down and you're free to go...free but damaged. HOWEVER, if another cop eyes you, you've already been radioed in, and they'll chase you down like a rabbit.

Gotta lov the game, guys!
  10. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Oh, and one more thing: I found a glitch... I don't know how I managed to do this, but TWICE I've ended up on water where I can roam free while cops radio in geographical updates ("suspect is headed ... west!", etc). While on the water, I was able to drive to the edge of the world (don't care what they say, the world IS flat, and it's mighty black off the edge!).

The cost is $3.00, but if you'll wait long enough, it'll drop to .99, which was what I paid.

Bouyaka!!