[REVIEW] Doom Resurrection

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by davidpiano1, Aug 15, 2009.

1. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    DOOM-Resurrection-icon.jpg

Review from another site, but by me.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Doom has always had a sweet spot in many hearts, due to the original Doom, Doom II, and the more recent Doom III iteration. Id software has now extended the franchise into the mobile regime, releasing Doom Resurrection for the iPhone and iPod touch. Although this iPhone-only version is "on-rails," which may turn off some hardcore gamers, it ultimately controls much more successfully than other free-roaming 3D games on the app store. By being on-rails, Doom is essentially a theme park ride, taking you from location to location automatically without your input. Although you can control where your character aims his weapon, the computer does not let you navigate through the Mars space station setting, instead moving you along a fixed path predetermined by the developers.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Although skeptical at first, I began to appreciate how this approach gave me much more control over the actual shooting aspect of the game, since I did not have to worry about getting caught up with navigation problems. Aiming the reticle is done by tilting the device up, down, left, or right. There is no sensitivity adjustment, but the default setting works comfortably with no need for alteration. In addition to a single button for shooting the selected weapon, there is a button for reloading, a button for dodging/taking cover from specific attacks, and a button to cycle between the three currently available weapons. Without revealing too much, you are a soldier on a Mars space station that has been taken over by demons and zombies from hell. You receive aid from a flying robot named Sam, which has important information about the current situation that must be sent back to Earth. And off you go, trying to minimize the influence of the demons and reach a ship leaving for Earth. The story is surprisingly engaging, and is told rather well through standard dialog boxes between characters.

The gameplay of Doom is both polished and engaging. There are a large number of different hell-spawn to defeat and many weapons, including a standard assault rifle, shotgun, and minigun, to help you in your mission. Different enemies often can be defeated more easily using a specific weapon, although you probably will revert back to the assault rifle for much of the game, since the other types of ammo can be quickly used up if you are not careful. As in many other games, head shots kill an enemy much more quickly than normal body shots. Due to the freedom of not having to worry about moving the space marine, the game has much less auto-aim than other free-roaming titles like Brothers in Arms and Terminator Salvation. This gameplay mechanic ultimately makes you feel as if you have more control over precise shooting rather than just button mashing and letting the computer take care of the hard parts. In addition to shooting, you must also dodge fiery projectiles thrown by some of the demons. Just pressing the button will not suffice, instead the press must be timed so that you will move away just as the ball flies by your head. The same dodge button also transforms into a cover button, much like in the traditional Time Crisis, when demons with machine guns appear. The enemies shooting display a yellow hexagon, which quickly gets smaller and turns red, indicating that they have a clear shot and will accurately hit you. Needless to say, the best way to defeat these demons is to down them when they still are in the aiming stage. To help replenish your life and ammo, various boxes are scattered throughout the level; a quick tap, as long as it is visible, will collect the item for use.

Graphically, Doom Resurrection is one of the most impressive app store games. This might have something to do with the fact that the paths are pre-created so the game only has a fixed number of objects to render. Nevertheless, the atmosphere is still very well done, with dark corridors and high resolution textures that are very pleasant to look at. The issue with many 3D games in the app store, especially those by Gameloft, is that although the graphics are very good by iPhone standards, they are somewhat unpleasant since they are similar to the quality of a PS1 game. Jaggies are clearly evident, and the low polygon models and blocky landscapes are disappointing. Doom Resurrection fares better than many of these games, partly because you hardly ever see your own character model, and also because the animations of the demons are above average. Most of them have a couple death animations, and will even occasionally explode due to a well placed shotgun blast. Plus, due to the on-rails nature of the game, there is an evident feeling of true walking as the marine moves (think of a console cutscene in first person).

Soundwise, Doom is good but not outstanding. There is a selection of creepy atmospheric ambient noise that definitely adds to the experience, but no background soundtrack. However, that makes some sense in order to retain the scary, futile feeling. However, each zombie really only has a couple sounds that it utters, making the game predictable in that sense. Even so, Doom is the type of game to play with stereo headphones, and it may throw in a scare or two along the way.

In terms of replay value, Doom has four difficulty levels, although even the highest "Nightmare" level really does not put up that much of a fight, as it just increases the amount of damage that each enemy attack inflicts. The game rates your performance from A to F at the end of each of its 8 chapters. Personally, I had no trouble getting a B or above in every stage, but YMMV. The game itself lasts about 3 hours at its normal difficulty, a little short. However, Id says that a 1.1 update will be out soon with an extra level and a new challenge mode.

I just want to mention one more thing about the on-rails approach. Yes, ideally the game should allow full control. However, at this point there really is no feasible control scheme on the iDevices. Some might mention Wolfenstein 3D Classic. To those I say, Wolfenstein has no vertical axis, so its controls work. That extra dimension adds lots of problems for more modern 3D games.

For $10, the original asking price, Doom is probably worth it to both fans and those who prefer accurate shooting over cumbersome navigation and strong auto-aim. However, at the new sale price of $3 (UNTIL TOMORROW AT NOON), it's pretty much a steal. Go get it.

9/10
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Go buy it before the sale is over and because I wrote this review now so that you will know to buy it and otherwise I would feel bad that I was lazy and didn't want to write a review while people were being deprived of a good game because they didn't know about the sale until it was too late.

And I posted it here first so is it still eligible for the contest?

VERSION 1.1 IS NOW OUT WITH A BONUS MAP AND 40 CHALLENGES!
  2. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

No, reviews must be original to iPTF. Sorry.
  3. SuperNova

SuperNova Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats kind of harsh. he did write it. but wrote it on a different site and then posted it on iptf.

btw good review.
  4. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Oi, sorry that it sounded harsh, but I don't make the rules. :\ Even if the original writer of the review is reposting it here, it's not allowed.
  5. SuperNova

SuperNova Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ya i know ur not the rule maker lol. sorry about how my post came out.
    and i didnt know that rule. thanks for clarifying it for me.
  6. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Alright thanks for letting me know, maybe I'll write an IPT exclusive by the end of the month.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    sry for double post but...

VERSION 1.1 IS NOW OUT WITH A BONUS MAP AND 40 CHALLENGES!
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for pointing out that the review is not original to this site. We appreciate your view and review but it won't be eligible for a review prize.
  8. davidpiano1

davidpiano1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    The sale is extended until tomorrow!