[Review] Doodle God

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by mikeac, Jul 5, 2010.

1. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

Please Register or Log in to view images

Doodle God
    Price: $0.99
    Release Date: 6/11/10
    Latest Version: 1.2 (8/2/10)
    Sold by: JoyBits Inc.
    Genre: Puzzle/Strategy
    Mode: Single Player w/FaceBook connect
    Age Rating: 17+ (4+ on Kids Mode)
    Platforms: Flash & iOS

*click icon to get*​

-

Screenshots:

It is currently on episode 3.

-

Hi all, this is mikeac. I recently joined these forums so you may not know me much. This isn't my first review, but my first Apple game review, so I have plenty experience.

This app, Doodle God is an extremely addicting game. It gets 4.5 stars and has about 2000 ratings, which isn't bad for an app released last month. Furthermore, it reigns in the top charts in multiple countries. It is currently one of my favorite apps, and you'll find out why.

-

My Thoughts:

I thought this game looked weird at first looking at the screenshots. I'm not always a big fan of puzzle apps, so I overlooked it when I first saw it. I got really bored a few days ago, and I had an unused iTunes gift card, redeemed it in and got this game, just because it was in the top ten and the decent rating.

When I started playing it, I was immediately hooked. It was cleanly made, with hours of entertainment. It is also extremely difficult, and that's what keeps you going. Over 3,000,000 people got this game, and I could see why.

-

Note: This game is released in episodes, each episode adding more features and difficulty to the game.

-

The Review

Who it's for: This game is directed to anyone from teens to middle-aged people. It requires a lot of thought to get through the game, combining elements is harder than you think. The game also has some references to alcohol, drugs, monsters, weapons, crude humor, and profanity, but not as much as you think (eg. Some elements like Sex or Beer are created, 17+ rating). However, when Kid's safe mode is on, no mature items are created, lowering the amount of items to 176 instead of 196. Weapons are still created.

Uniqueness: This game, in nearly every way, is unique. There is no other similar app in the App Sotre that I have witnessed. It is a very simple game yet it can keep you entertained for hours like most great App Store games, but in a very different way. In the beginning, all you have is the elements of water, fire, earth, and air, and you have to make more than a hundred different elements. You seriously can make alcohol just out of fire and water.

Summary: Doodle God has crisp, clean graphics with nice menus and very simple layout and buttons. It has decent sound effects and the BGM is very interesting because it reminds you of what music would be like in a haven. The controls can be hard to use, especially if you have big or unsteady fingers because the buttons are small, but they are very easy to learn and rarely buggy. It is extremely addictive and keep you entertained for hours until you beat it. However, it has minimal replay value, and the only time you would want to play it again after you beat it is if an update comes out. It was worth a dollar, no more than three.

Final Rating:

Graphics & Audio
    ★★★★1/2

Very simple and clean graphics. If you do have eyesight problems, everything looks fine. The BGM and sound effects can get boring after a while.

Usability
    ★★
    ★★
    It is difficult to play this game if you have big or unsteady fingers since the buttons are small. For the most part, it is alright and can be overlooked.

Gameplay
    ★★★★

A very addictive, simple, challenging, and sometimes humorous game that you cannot put down until the very end. And then you don't really want to play it anymore.

Overall Score:

A great game worth the buck. No matter how hard it is or how long you play it, you can't put it down until you finally beat it. If you want it, click the icon on the top of the page, or on the app store icon below.

Note: I found a HILARIOUS easter egg. Combine Apple & Phone together and watch what comes out.

Attached Files:

2. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  3. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Its a good game, the concept is strangely addictive considering all that your doing is dragging and dropping, trying to create all 120 different things. DOWNLOAD IT PEEPS.
  4. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    When I saw the title I thought it would be some cheap knock off of Doodle Jump + Pocket God.... But I was wrong..

This looks awesome!
  5. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know, right? That's what I thought too.
  6. LOLRECONLOL

LOLRECONLOL Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nice review! Reading this made me go and check it out, and so far I'm up to 34/140.
  7. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats well weird, I'm playing this game on notdoppler at the moment. Planning on getting it in the app store asap. 54/115 elements so far, its hard ):
  8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

This game is pretty cool, I just bought it. It's getting hard though, there are so many elements!

9. LOLRECONLOL

LOLRECONLOL Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know, I'm at 68/140 now and I'm hitting a wall.

10. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I beat it yesterday. My last element I created was 'Nuclear Bomb'.

Waiting for a freaking update.