[REVIEW] DCSquares Mobile

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by spoonforknife, Jan 28, 2009.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

DCSquares Mobile is the mobile version of the classic game DCSquares by Sam Steele. Steele, who happens to live rather close to me, also made this great mobile version, using the accelerometer and was kind enough to give me a free copy in order to review it. You can download DCSquares for Mac and PC at its official website and you can get the mobile version on the App Store for a mere $1.99.

Steele, also known as c99koder, made the Last.fm application on the App Store, and MobileScrobbler back on the 1.1.x firmwares. You can find out more about Steele at his official website. You can also follow him on twitter as @c99koder.

GAMEPLAY

Please Register or Log in to view images

Let me put this out there. This game is addicting. This is one of those games that makes you keep playing repeatedly until your battery dies. The basic premise of this is that you are this spinning black square that has to collect all of these green squares that are moving around the screen whilst avoiding the evil red squares. It's pretty simple, but your square gets larger as you go on, and the squares move faster. It gets pretty hard. That said, I have the current high score in the mobile version of the game.

To move your square, you simply tilt your device, hitting the green squares to gain points, hitting the red squares to die and end your game. However, the game gets more complicated, with special items. There are green special items and red special items with the green ones being good such as invincibility and +1000 points. The red counterparts are negative, such as -1000 points and evil squares.

One of the greatest thing about this game are high scores. You can compete against everybody else playing DCSquares Mobile. So far there are only 4 high scores, but I can see this game exploding, as its desktop counterpart has tons of high scores. When you end a game, you'll be presented with a screen to submit your score and create an account. To create an account, simply enter a username and password and your score will be submitted. You can check your scores online at the http://dcsquaresapp.com by logging in with your username and password.

Unfortunately, this game has no pause button, which is a really needed feature. Other than that, the gameplay aspect of this game are perfect.

9.5/10

GRAPHICS

After reviewing the stunning Lights Off, the graphics in DCSquares Mobile are feeling slightly lackluster. The graphics make it feel somewhat clunky and old. The squares use a generic looking gradient, and the graphics are really not memorable at all. The deep blue background does put a nice little gradient on it which looks kind of cool, but overall, the graphics are pretty average.

While this is not related to graphics, the sound effects on the application are annoying as all get out. When you hit a square, you get this little techno blip that plays. It gets pretty irritating after you hit about 10 squares. There is no option to turn this off, so I think that this is something that is needed. Also, there is no ambient music, so the only music are the sudden and jarring techno blips.

5/10

STABILITY/BUGS

I have had no problems with this application's stability at all. Also, no bug reports to boot. Nice job!

10/10

VALUE

The value of this application based solely on gameplay would be a fantastic 10/10. But due to the somewhat average graphics and irritating sound effects, it's going to be a slightly lower 9.5/10, as graphics are not entirely essential to the fantastic gameplay.

9.5/10

TOTAL

The gameplay is truly great. Once again, Steele is one of my favorite developers along with Steven Troughton-Smith, and this is a great example of original gameplay.

34.5/40

For more, you can see a video demonstration by the developer.
  2. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You really like reviewing jailbreak dev's apps don't you?

3. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

They give me free codes. I review them on an iPod touch forum with 300,000 people.

4. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    DCSqaures looks bad. Lights off is good, but I am not a critical thinker
  5. philip goldberg

philip goldberg New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i bought this game yesterday and it is really addicting. I always end up coming going back to it