[Review] Dance Dance Revolution

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by sprint_user, Jun 3, 2009.

1. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Dance Dance Revolution!

Please Register or Log in to view images

By Konami
    Konami, adding another classic game to their list of App Store apps.

Price: $6.99 USD
    --> iTunes Link
    --> DDR Lite

What is Dance Dance Revolution?
    DDR is a classic dancing game, popular in arcades. You would stand on a pad and use your feet to press down over sized buttons while the arrows appear on the screen. It was an instant hit and soon was made for the PlayStation.
    This was a must, since games like TTR were already in the App Store, Konami had to prove they were the best at rhythm/dance games!

Game Play

When you first launch the game, you are presented with a menu, while the mysterious DDR dude shouts, "Dance Dance, Revolution!" The options are the menu are:

1. Game mode: The main game. You then select your character, followed by selecting which "mode" you want to play: Standard, Course, or one you must unlock. If standard was selected, you are then shown the classic song "roulette."

Then the game screen appears, with the "Dance Pad" located at the bottom of the screen. There are 3 rounds, so after each song, you select another song. This is actually very fun, a great replacement to TTR. The pad is very easy to tap without looking. I find myself very addicted to this mode.

2. Shake Mode: A poor attempt to add in accelerometer features. This game is pretty boring and annoying. You find yourself shaking your iPod/iPhone like a mad man.

As you can see, it is the same screen with the "Dance pad" removed. Ehh. The arrows are slow and all you do is shake your device in the direction of the arrows.

3. Training Mode: For those who really want to master a specific song. You are presented with additional options. No character is selected.

4. Records: Where your personal game records are kept such as high-scores

5. Options: Where you can change various options such as the amount of rounds per game.

6. Information: All about the game! Explains each mode of the game.

7. Tutorial Demo: A demo video explaining how to play the game.

8. Touch Konami: Crashes the game and opens up the iPhone version of the Konami website

So, overall, Konami did what they had to do with this game. They made a very fun game with many songs. The touch screen is a nice change from the "Dance Pad," but shake mode is poorly implemented.

What I would like to see in Future Updates:
    As I say in most iPhone games, online play is a must for me. I mean, TTR does it really well, DDR should do the same thing. Also, shake mode needs a revamp, it is very boring

Conclusion
    Konami didn't really deliver on this one. I wish they integrated shake and tap in the main game. Also, there are way too many options, it takes forever before you get to the actual game. Maybe this game just wasn't a perfect match for the iPhone, but they still did a great job. Good game play, decent price, good app.

Sprint_user's rating: 3/5

Would I recommend this to a friend? Only if they are familiar with the original DDR game. They might not appreciate it then

Attached Files:

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    Wait. So you shake to play to match the arrows?
  3. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yes, I will make it more clear.
  4. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's a ghastly implemintation of an otherwise decent game.
  5. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Elaborate?
  6. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    The shaking to the arrows. Horrible game mechanics.
  7. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I completely agree, this is why the game did not receive a higher rating from me. Shake mode just didn't do it for me.
  8. Education

Education Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with what you said about the Shake Mode. However, i noticed that you didn't explain what you thought of the normal gameplay. I have the game and I thought that the standard gameplay was pretty fun and actually better than TTR.
  9. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    True, thanks, for the heads up, I fixed it