[REVIEW] Critter Crunch

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by bkram1, Jul 12, 2008.

1. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    [REVIEW] Critter Crunch - The perfect game no-one knows about!

CRITTER CRUNCH

Please Register or Log in to view images

Genre: Puzzle
    Number of players: 1 Player only
    Price: $9.99 US, $12.99 AU
    Requirements: Compatible with iPhone and iPod Touch

iTunes Store link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284068573&mt=8

iTunes description: "Critter Crunch, winner of the IGN Wireless Best Game of 2007 and IGF Mobile Best Game of 2008 awards, is making its way to the iPhone and iPod Touch! This innovative puzzler allows gamers to take control of Biggs, a friendly forrest dwelleer with an unending hunger for tasty critters. Using his long tongue, Biggs must set the food chain in motion by launching smaller critters into the waiting mouths of larger ones, clearing the screen and filling his belly. This humorous, brain-busting puzzle game is sure to keep you entertained for hours on end."

Features:

Multiple award-winning "Food Chain" puzzle style: Feed smaller critters into larger ones and watch them pop! The longer your chain, the larger the jewel!

Tons of levels and four amazing game modes to unlock: Adventure Mode, Puzzle Mode, Time Trial and Survival.

Cute critters, lush hand-painted background and catchy tunes keep the game bouncing!

Lots of Power0ups and special critters keep things fresh by providing new challenges

Intuitive tutorials teach you every aspect of the game: Learning to play Critter Crunch is a snap!

Slick touch controls make playing Critter Crunch a breeze: Simply drag Biggs to move from column to column, and tap him to grab the critters above. Tap again to spit a grabbed critter into the waiting mouths of larger critters above and help to food chain along. Critter Crunch's drag and tap controls are intuitive, precise and perfectly suited to the iPhone's touch screen.

Review:
    I bought the game 'Critter Crunch' for the iPod Touch this morning after buying Super Monkey Ball and Crash Bandicoot: Nitro Racer 3D. I am reviewing this game first as I havn't found a review on the games board yet. As the description says, you move a character 'Biggs' along the bottom using the touch screen to drag the character. You then tap Biggs and he'll extend his tongue to eat a Critter. You then drag Biggs to another column and tap him to spit the critter back out. If you spit a smaller Critter into a larger one, the smaller one disappears and the larger one gets larger. Each critter gets destroyed after eating two smaller ones. If there are a row of larger Critters and one gets destroyed, all the ones touching also get destroyed. This is a 'Food Chain Reaction'. When you destroy a critter it drops a jewel. Once you collect enough jewels you progress to the next level. If the critters reach the bottom of the screen you loose.

The game has beautiful 2D graphics and a great soundtrack. The sprites are well designed and make funny noises.I have only played it for a few hours and made it to level 13. It is definitely getting harder but it is so enjoyable. I definitely prefer it over Super Monkey Ball and Crash because they have sluggish controls and are difficult to play while traveling. Critter Crunch only uses the touch screen so you can play it anytime. I was going to buy Bejeweled 2 instead but I thought I'd try something new. I'm glad I did because this is a much more fast paced and rewarding game. its too bad not many people have heard about this game as I think it is one of the top 5 if not the best iPhone/iPod Touch game out right now. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Game play: 95% - A twist on puzzle games
    Graphics: 95% - I think it looks better than Crash or Monkey Ball - Great Colours
    Sound: 85% - Simple but catchy - Cute Critter noises
    Value: 85% - At $12.99 AU its definitely worth the price but it would be nice if it was $9.99 AU
    Lasting Appeal: 90% - I think you won't get tired of this one
    Overall: 95% - My favorite game from the App Store

If I need to fix anything or you want anything, just let me know.

Thanks - Bkram1
  2. Relic073

Relic073 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    sweet great review...i was going to buy this game but i was waiting for a review

3. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks, it took a while to put together, as I said, I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has an interest in puzzle games.

4. soupdude551

soupdude551 New Member

this is great, next app ill buy. also anybody know any good apps for $5.00-$7.00
  5. fishscene

fishscene New Member

OOOOOOooh kawaii desu ne~
  6. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  7. Wyatt2987

Wyatt2987 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Itd be funny if they had this cute happy little set up with all the cute creatures, but when the big critter ate the little ones, blood gushed everywhere and it got graphic.
  8. bkram1

bkram1 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It would be like happy tree friends then lol