[REVIEW] Chimps Ahoy

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by epnfatbdy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. epnfatbdy

epnfatbdy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Name: Chimps Ahoy
    Category: Games
    Price: $4.99

My Description: Chimps Ahoy is like an advanced version of brickbreaker and pong, mixed. In the game, you are a monkey, and you are faced with all sorts of levels, featring enemies, ruby's, and valuable powerups. Your monkey's face is shown on both sides (So I guess your two monkeys), and you have to try and destroy everything in your path by bouncing a coconut of the monkeys.

So, first, select the icon off of springboard:

ca_springy.JPG

And then you are faced with this:

ca_startscreen.JPG

Once you tap the screen you see three options:

ca_newgameloadgameoptions.JPG

Load Game:

ca_loadslot.JPG

New Game:

ca_save.JPG

And Options:

ca_options.JPG

Once you hit new game, you are asked to choose your monkey, which will be either male or female:

ca_monkeys.JPG

Then, you will be taken to the captains headquarters (No Screenshot, accidentally deleted it, not that important). Here you can select from the various items you have unlocked along the way, such as hats (You get hats whenever you collect all the coins in a bonus level under 25 seconds)

When you want to start the game, you see a pirates treasure map (It is your duty to defeat all the areas on all of the maps you will be faced with).

Now it time to play. But how do you play?
    Here's how:

ca_howtoplay.JPG

Now it is time to face your levels:

ca_purplegameplay.JPG ca_lightbluegameplay.JPG

Now, what will you find while playing:

Enemies: There are plenty of enemies to keep you busy. These can be squids, pirates, lighthouses, ships, etc. Some, like the ships, will shoot bombs at you. Others are there just to be a nuisance, such as the light house, which is always really close to the edge, so that if a coconut hits it, it will change direction. Most enemies will be destroyed with a simple hit with a coconut, but others, such as the light house, need powerups.

Power-ups: Just like there are plenty of enemies, there are plenty of power-ups to help get you past the enemies. For example, there are fiery coconuts (gets you past the light houses), extra coconuts, multiple coconuts, etc.

Every time you defeat a level, you are applauded by this guy:

ca_thumbsup.JPG

But if you fail:

ca_thumbsdown.JPG

Saving: Every time you defeat a new plot of land on each map, it saves, so it doesn't matter if you lose on a plot, you don't have to go back to the beginning of the map. It's a little bit similar to SMB's saving method.

Price: This price used to be outrageous at $9.99 when the appstore came out, but the devs got smart, and lowered the price to $5.99. That is when I bought it.

Controls: It can get a little annoying because your thumbs can get on top of the monkeys, but it is not too bad, you just have to learn to live with it.

So here goes:

Addictiveness: 5/5
    Interface: 5/5
    Controls: 4.5/5
    Price: 5/5
    Overall: 4.5+/5

Closing Statements: This game isn't the kind of game you pick up and play for hours. It is just one of those "I'm bored" kinda games. And, since it will take longer to finish because of this, the 100+ levels will last you for weeks and months of entertainment. The graphics are very nice, and the concept is good. I would definitely recommend this one over most of the other $5.99 games (especially Space Monkey!!!) Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy this game!
  2. sucram6791

sucram6791 New Member

looks lame but good review
  3. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

4. epnfatbdy

epnfatbdy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yea thats what I thought when I first saw it back on the 11th...but when I saw the price change i just decided to go for it, and I am actually quite happy with it.