[REVIEW] Cat Physics

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Hackey_Sack, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Hackey_Sack

Hackey_Sack New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    (This is my first review. Don't be nice, be harsh! >

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

REVIEW AT A GLANCE:
    This game is pretty great.​

Donut Games is back with their latest game for the iPod Touch/iPhone: Cat Physics. The concept is simple: Get the ball from one cat to the other. However, the game play goes much deeper than what you see at first glance.

When the game starts up, you see the familiar Donut Games logo and menu screen. We choose our level, and...

The first level.

To win, we simply tap our cat to have him release it, and the ball rolls to our destination: The white cat. Of course, there's more to the game than this. For example...

There seems to be a pillar in the way...

To get past this obstacle, we simply move the arrow to where the ball will touch it. It starts to move in the direction of the arrow.

Yes! (Image created at gifninja.com)

Once the ball reaches the destination cat, the ball's path is shown, as well as a rapidly decreasing number in the upper-right hand corner. The longer the path is, the smaller the number (your score) gets.

There are many more obstacles in the game, including...

• Gates/Buttons
    • Catapults
    • Teleporters
    • One-Way Walls

...And much more!

SCORING:
    Using Official MR Team Review Scoring System

Presentation & Graphics
    The graphics in this game are beautiful. The iPod/iPhone may not have the best screens, but the folks at Donut Games definitely know how to make the best of them. Donut Games fans will notice, as usual, the recycled menus, but that's not really a bad thing.
    Score: 5/5

Audio
    The audio in this game is very nice. Again, recycled menu sounds, but when you have something that works, you stick with it. In the actual game, the music is okay, but I'd suggest that you listen to your own music while you play. (Of course, the fact that you can do this is a plus in itself.) The sound effects seem like they happen right where they should, and fit perfectly with the feel of the game.
    Score: 4.5/5

Gameplay and controls
    The controls are fairly basic (tap and drag an arrow to move it), but could have been done better. I found that when trying to perfect my score, I'd often have to move an arrow only one or two pixels from its current location, but the game doesn't seem to want to let you do that. You have to move your finger quite a bit before the arrow begins to follow at all. (Of course, none of this is even noticeable when playing casually.)

The gameplay, to be honest, really surprised me. It seems like most games get their difficulty from the frustrating bits. Cat Physics is not what I'd consider 'easy', but there are really only two levels where I went "Come on!" (Here's looking at you, Bouncing Off The Wall and Destination Unknown.) Unfortunately, this only seems to make these parts more noticeable.
    Score: 4/5

Replay Value
    As anyone who's familiar with Donut Games knows, most of their games have a star system: Upon completing a level, you are awarded one to three stars (one for completing, one for completing with a good score, and one for completing with a great score). I've found that, in most games, it feels forced. However, with Cat Physics, it just fits. It really seems like a challenge, like the game is screaming "Yeah, you could be happy with two stars... OR you could get 10 more for the third!" This mechanic adds a lot of replay value to the game. If Donut Games had a level editor for this, it would definitely get 5 stars in this category.

Value for money
    This one's pretty self-explanatory. Everything I've mentioned in this review is part of a 99 CENT APP. As far as I'm concerned, the value is amazing. However, Donut Games is known for always having two or three games for free at any given time, so you may want to wait until Cat Physics is one of them.

OVERALL:

Cat Physics is, by no means, a perfect game. However, you get a lot of fun, and more bang for your buck than most games. Yes, I said it. Your buck. If you have an extra dollar lying around, get this game. You won't regret it.

Attached Files: