[Review] Car Jack Streets

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Kid A, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Kid A

Kid A Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's GTA on the iPhone!

Opening Thoughts

Before making an appearance on your Apple product, CJS was actually a Java game for mobile phones. I can remember seeing it and thinking it wont last, looks like a poor GTA rip-off. I was wrong, well, for the iPhone version anyway...

Storyline

Oh no! Randal's in trouble! Frankie is calling in your gambling debts which is $1 million! How on earth would you pay that back and keep your head? Good news! Frankie, being a generously nice bloke, has decided to make it only $50,000 a week! Even more good news! Your kind bar-owner Uncle Murphy will help you along the way! He gives you $5000 dollars to start off with, then the rest is up to you! Missions include protecting witnesses, killing off Mafia, blowing up buildings, driving around an ambulance, pizza truck, a leader of your mob and distracting the police. It gets a bit repetative after a while imo- you could do the same mission day after day. The city isn't as big as hoped, a couple of minutes from top to bottom! Also timing in missions is something I despise with a glorious passion. Of course it's needed in some missions, but I think they over use it and should trim down on it.

Vehicles

What's Car Jack City without cars? Jack city. Vehicles are a key part of the game, with most missions including the need of vehicle. So what kind of vehicles can you get? Bloody Loads. There's a huge variety, from Clown Car to Locust, Helicopter to Tank, Bus to Ambulance, Fire Engine to Police Car, you name it! My personal favourite is the Micro, easily destroyed but a fast wee bugger! You can car jack any vehicle, BUT you will have to pay a one off $5000 for the Tank and Helicopter separately

One huge annoying thing though which will drop the game overall marks is the car bumping. If you bump into another car bigger than yours, you get bumped away, which is especially annoying when you're running out of time!

Get To The Choppa!!!!

Tanks alot.....

Weapons

There's a total of five weapons in the game;

Flame-thrower
    -
    Grenades
    Shotgun
    Machine Gun
    Rocket Launcher

They each have their unique qualities, Flame-Thrower for close destruction, Grenades for far, small explosions, Shotgun for close shooting, Machine Gun for distance shooting and Rocket Launcher for distance big explosions. My favourite is the flame-thrower, utter destruction and fun to burn people with it

It would be cool to have a Sniper though, which would be ace if you could land your helicopter on a building.

Other Info​

It's got GTA 1-style graphics, I think it works well cartoony, much better than it would in other games.

Controls are damn simple;
    Walking- direction buttons
    Shooting- Gun Icon
    Driving- Two arrows on left hand side is direction, Two on right are forward/reverse

It's got good longevity, it will take 20 weeks to repay the full million (no idea what happens after that....) although you could pay your $50k the days before it's due...

Currently on sale @ App store- 59p/99 Cents (I don't know how to link you there, sorry!)

UI is nice looking & easy to use.

Overall Review

It was bound to get compared to GTA, but I honestly feel it could have lived up to it. A few glitches, not a lot to do once paid the 50k, the bloody car bumping and a small island do let it down gameplay wise, but easy controls and good graphics earn it a few marks back. At least it didn't do a Champ Man and make it a direct port from Java...

Ratings

Gameplay- 7/10
    Graphics- 9/10
    UI 9/10
    Longevity 8/10
    TOTAL= 8.25/10

Rate/Hate?

Attached Files:

2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There's a few mistakes with the BBcode you used (I see a few CENTER codes and such)... just thought that I would point that out to you. And don't forget, we're giving this application away as part of Fantastic Friday 3 - don't forget to enter!
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bought it myself at the weekend. at 99 cents you can't go wrong. Missions seem to come on a bit thick and fast though., but I haven't played much so can't speak for later in the game.

Your review content is good but you definitely need to work on the BB code for the layout. Use the speed buttons at the top of the box that you type in as they'll automaticlaly put in the BB code.

On that point we could do with a detailed newbies guide to making reviews. If anyone fancies building one do so then PM me for consideration for a sticky.
  4. Kid A

Kid A Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes, I'm not the best @ BB Codes am I?

Practise makes perfect though!
  5. vcjesusfreak

vcjesusfreak New Member

This app is amazing, there are only a few things I see as problems. The driving controls can get a little sloppy, because it will not read that you are pressing the gas sometimes. I can be driving and all of a sudden the car stops. The other thing is that I would like to see some more missions.
  6. Nutronic

Nutronic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'd just like to add something if I may, TAG games who created this great game are the people who created the original GTA and thats why it looks similar.