[REVIEW] C Peel

Discussion in 'Peel Cases' started by Lagunatic, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    First thoughts

When you open up the Apple style case, you discover:
    -The C Peel (duh)
    -2 batteries
    -1 cleaning cloth
    -1 Screen protector
    -Instructions
    -iPod wall charger
    -iPod cable
    -C Peel battery charger

I find the C Peel a bit chunky at 1.6cm thick. Also, the buttons are a bit hard to reach. But more on that later.

Design

The Good​
    The design of the C Peel itself is quite aesthetically pleasing. I opted for black instead of white as I thought it would would make it stand out less. The black finish is nice and shiny and didn't scratch when I took my keys to it. To get the iPod touch 4, SIM card and the battery into the C Peel,you slide off the back, just like a normal phone. The back features the "Coming" logo which is a bit subtle and nice. Since it blocks the headphone jack and the cable port the C Peel features a headphone jack (3.5mm) on the bottom and a cable port on the lower right hand side. When plugged in, it charges both the C Peel battery and the iPod battery.

The Bad​
    I find the placement of the cable port a bit annoying since it causes a bit of discomfort when used while charging. Another annoying bit is the access to the sleep/wake and volume buttons. I can press the sleep/wake button with ease but i still have to crane my finger a bit to press it. The volume buttons are nearly inaccessible. I cannot use them with my thumb as I would normally would, instead, I have to use my index fingernail.

The Software

When you download the software from the repo (coming.hk/cydia), you are greeted with four new icons on your home screen. Phone, SMS, Radio and GPRS. The Phone and SMS applications are complete copies of the original things. So, not much to explain there. The Radio app looks like a rushed job, and it does require you to have some headphones plugged in order to use it. The GPRS app is just a front page with space to enter network details. When you plug headphones in, it is a bit frustrating trying to get the iPod to recognize the headphones. When it does, it thinks that it is in a dock, so you have to use the physical volume buttons. Also, no retina support for any application.

Using it in Daily Life

As I said before, it's a bit thick which is annoying in skinny jeans. It won't even fit in my pocket. It is nearly as tall as my Nokia E66 while it is slid up. But in normal jeans, it fits perfectly, and doesn't feel much thicker than an iPhone 3Gs. I'm starting to get used to it and don't find it so unbelievably thick anymore. Also, I missed a few calls because I could not feel the vibration.
    I did however confuse some classmates when they saw that it wasn't an iPhone 4, but it had a front facing camera.
    [​IMG]

Where to Buy

There are not many places to buy it in English. In fact, I am yet to find one.
    If you are feeling a little courageous, you can order off "taobao.com". But make sure to check the seller's reputation thoroughly. Use Google translate for the best experience.

OVERALL SCORE
    3/5​

It could be better, and possibly will be in the future.

Photos can be found here: http://www.ifans.com/forums/imgcach...ck_Kamatsos/?action=view&current=IMG_2130.jpg

Attached Files:

2. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    1.6 cm? That is very thick. I'll be spotting for a picture comparison of naked and with the cpeel. Stitched together or side by side if possible.
  3. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Will do. Just uploading pics to Photobucket now.
  4. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Well keep in mind the design was more made for the 2G/3G touch. Also, a video review would be nice. And one a side note, get a rechargeable battery pack for your controllers :p
  5. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Wow. That thing is really thick. I'd buy an iPhone if I wanted and iPod-phone setup.
  6. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah it is a bit thick. But I'm starting to get used to it. But, at the moment, I cannot get it to call or send an SMS. I have to say though, their customer service is good.
  7. crisvolta

crisvolta New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hi! can you tell me where did you buy the c peel?
  8. b777forever

b777forever Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Nice review, but it looks freaking ugly. At least they should of tried to make it look more iPhone-esque
  9. RobSanders

RobSanders New Member

Can you please post some videos...

Where did you purchase you C Apple Peel?

And is the the C Apple Peel for the iPod Touch 4?

Thanks,
  10. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I bought C Peel of TaoBao.com but I would not recommend that for international customers. You should be able to find it on many gadget sites.
    There are C Peels for 2g/3g and 4g iPods.
    And yes, it is a bit on the ugly side. But it is not much thicker than an iPhone 3gs with a case on. i'm getting used to it and it is a great alternative to an iPhone.