[REVIEW] BrainChallenge

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by quakergamer, Jul 18, 2008.

1. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Brain Challenge is a game, just like Big Brain Academy on the Wii or the DS, which is in fact 47 mini games, placed under 5 different categories : Logic, Visual, Maths, Memory and Focus. It is designed to help your brain train in these various areas. Is it worth it 9.99$ or NOT? Let's look at the different features that this game has:

1.1 - Main screen

Please Register or Log in to view images

When first starting this application, it asks you for your age (without the year, pretty odd), which one of the teachers you want (you have a choice between a male or a female), your name and if you want sound turned on or not. Notice that you can change all of these, afterwards, in the options menu, afterward. You can also change the language.

1.2 - Main game

The main game consists of a daily test and a stress test. The difference between both might be quite obscure. In fact, the daily test has 5 mini games in each one of the categories listed up top, and you have to complete the most levels within 60 seconds. I don't know if you get bonus for correct streaks, but you do have messages that pop up if you were quick or slow, and if you have 5, 10 or 15 correct answers in a row. Pictured above is a mini-game that shows you a path, which you must repeat afterward and it tests your short term memory.

The stress test can also be done daily, and it consist of 3 exercises, with some added difficulties. For example, you might have visual additions (MATHS!!) using cheese icons, which are also available in the daily test, but you must not let the mice get near the cheese at the top of the screen, else you fail the exercise. The stress test involves A LOT of multi-tasking minigames, or authority & physical related exercises.

• Over 43 mini games are unlockable.
    • A training mode is available to play the mini games you have unlocked.
    • A great animated screen explains each of the mini-games, beforehand, so you are never left alone!
    • Daily tests can be done multiple times a day, but only the result of the last test will count in your graphs.
    • Characters in full 3D
    • Some games use the accelerometer, for example, in one of the stress games you must shake the iPod to move away all the fallen leaves, and then solve the equation.
    Over 43 different mini-games are available.

1.3 - Results

After you finish each test, you are prompted with a result page, showing how much percentage of the brain you use, or what is your stress level, using a Fahrenheit scale, plus a score.
    You can see how you performed in each of the 5 categories, and your overall progression, if you repeat the test everyday. You can also get a grade ranging from A to E, if you choose to practice mini-games in the training mode.

Each of these results are available afterward, to track your progress.

DISCLAIMER: IN REALITY YOU USE 100% OF YOUR BRAIN, THE IN GAME PERCENTAGE IS ONLY USING FOR SCORING PURPOSES!! Don't believe all this B.S. that you only use 10% of your brain, because that's a myth!

1.4 - Bonus features

• You get a fact about the brain every time you start the game, which can be quite interesting.
    • You can also get some random comments like "The weekend is coming, do you have any plans", coming from that hot doctor. Oh my!
    • Great "bonus" mini-games are unlockable. For example, you have this cube game where you must use the accelerometer to get the cubes together, and it does have over 20 levels. There is also a piano game, which can cure your boredom! I haven't unlocked them all, but I am sure there are a lot of nice surprises.

1.5 - Conclusion

This game is definitely worth the money if you enjoyed the similar games on the Wii or the DS, or if you enjoy learning more and developing your brain. It barely has any slowdown at all, although some of the physics intensive games, like the bouncing balls, may seem a little bit laggy. There are a lot of loading screens, but you will have to leave with it.

It is only 10 bucks and it's the 6th most popular product in the app. store, which means you can't really go wrong with it, but then again, not everyone is into this kind of game. As for me, I know I'll be playing this daily, for a while!
  2. sucram6791

sucram6791 New Member

good reveiw but not sure ill get it
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i agree^^^^ it looks fun and all!!! but i will eighter wait for ...
    1. price drop
    2. a program for apps... of mikey!!! is it don yet???
  4. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    We use 100% of our brains. The myth about 10% came from the fact that only 10% of our brains are made up of neurons, which are the cells that we think with. The other 90% are called glial cells.

These cells provide structural support and nutrition for the neurons, as well as clear away their waste. We don't exactly think with these glia, but they are used all the time nonetheless.

From an evolutionary standpoint it would make no sense that we use only part of what we have in our body. Our bodies are specifically built so we can hold up our big, heavy head. If it was 90% useless, our heads would have gotten smaller a long time ago.

Great review

5. brisingr

brisingr New Member

I second it.

Great review: I won't buy the game.
  6. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    awesome review! have been waiting for a review on this game, and i will for susre buy it now. thanks
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ooh wow, a brian training type of game. might consider getting this

8. quakergamer

quakergamer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Updated my original post with a new picture (of the piano mini-game) and with some other information. I'm definitely happy with my 10 bucks spent, haha.
  9. shajiby

shajiby New Member

10. Covenant550

Covenant550 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    eh looks ok, may try it out later