[Review] AutoStich

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Indestructible, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Indestructible

Indestructible Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This is an app I have been dying to test. So after weeks of waiting, I finally got the opportunity to review this app, and this is what I found.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Quality:
    The quality of this app is phenomenal. Contrary to its counterpart, I have yet to experience an app crash. As if the aforementioned is not enough, this app also bares a sexy UI that screams professionalism all the way.

5/5

Features
    Like it main competitor Pano, this app has a nice amount of features. As expected, this app can post to Facebook, email a picture, or simply add it to your camera roll. Also, users are given an option to crop all photos prior to saving, uploading or emailing all photos.

Furthermore, the settings features allow users the ability to change output size and resolution of all photos processed by the app. Although I found out this feature when writing this review (and thus my photos are scaled down because of the default options), I am more than certain that changing the photos setting will yield even more amazing photos.

5/5

User Friendly:
    By far this app is as simple to use as most Apple created apps are. All you have to do is click on the photos you would like to stitch, and hit the stitch button. Once the photos has stitched together, one simply has to tap on the crop button and then save; or just hit the save button to save/send the desired output.

5/5

Image quality:
    Here is where I can criticize this program a bit, but not by much. As you can see by the picture bellow, you can develop two types of photos with this app, crisp images and blurry ones. Unfortunately, for naive users, the latter will usually occur. The reason for this is simply related to the fact that users have no guides when taking the photo. Hence if more that 15% (an approximate value) of the photos overlap, Autostich will render a somewhat blurry image over the areas that overlap. However, if one consistently practice, and keep the overlap to a bare minimum, one can yield superb photos. In actuality, the image quality really depends on the user and not the application.

Update (11/4/2010):

The blurry images were the result of default (Normal/relatively fast) render mode. However, if the best image mode is selected, the images rendered by this app, will be crisp. This therefore means that overlapping camera shots are okay and actually encouraged.

***Edit***

After inspection of the pictures I realized that the alignment on the beach picture (look at the horizon) was not the steller. I am still unsure if this was due to the nature of the program, or if it was my fault (photos were takes too long ago for me to remember if I moved from the pivoting position or not). Until I can determine, who is a fault, the original rating will still stand.

4/5

What is missing from this application:
    A feature I would have liked to have seen was a built in camera function with a guide. However, I am aware that creating a bidirectional guide would require a lot of ram and process usage. Nevertheless, I still would like to see a built in cam feature.

Final Thoughts
    Overall, this little app that cost only $2.99 in the app store seems to pack a big punch when up against its competitors. Unlike most apps, Autostich takes a revolutionary approach to making panoramic shots. For most competitors, like Pano, when one takes a photo, they are greeted with a guide that allows to increasing the picture size either horizontal or vertical. The increase along one of these dimensions, allows users to make a panoramic shot. However, there are times where one might want to take a large photo of particular scenery. In such a case, the panoramic programs fail, and this app excels. This ability to stitch photos in a horizontal and vertical image together enables users to increase their camera size output size up to a 20 mp photo.

Overall rating:
    4.75/5

-----------------------------------------------------------
    It appears that Photobucket has scaled the above images, down, from their original size. I will update this post in the near future with an unscaled version of the images.
  2. Indestructible

Indestructible Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't mean to bump this thread; but after consulting with the app developer, I realized that I had made a mistake. The correction can be found above.