[REVIEW] Apple In-Ear Headphones w/ Remote And Mic

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by shiben589, Dec 28, 2008.

1. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For whatever reason, I have seen no reviews of the new Apple In-Ear headphones aside from the occasional "They rock!!" or "They suck so hard it hurts!", so ive decided to write my first review about them!

I'll be writing about these headphones in four categories:

Sound quality/ Noise cancellation
    Comfort/Style
    Other Functions (i.e. remote/mic)
    And Price

So, without further ado:

Sound quality/ Noise cancellation:
    These headphones have amazing sound quality and even though the bass is not all that Apple promised us, it is plenty for the average consumer. The midrange and treblesounds are perfet quality though, so no need to worry about those. Apple also managed to keep all of its other promises in terms of sound, as every note you have ever missed in your favorite song will come through loud and clear, and it really is like listening to a different song, thus making Apple the first company to make this come true with a pair of headphones!

Please Register or Log in to view images

As for noise cancellation, these are excellent, without anything playing, it is like having a pair of okay earplugs in (assumind you are wearing the correct size ear tips), and block out all sound with even a quiet song playing.

Comfort/Style:
    These are some of the most comfortable headphones i have ever worn, and unlike many other in ear headphones, they do not slip out of your ears, even while shaking you head vigorously (again, assuming you are wearing the correct size tips). The tips are much softer than you imagine and so when you put in the correct size tips, the fill in your ear completely, isolating the noise and giving a richer sound and better overall feel. I actually forgot that these were in my ears at some point and accidentally ripped them out by pulling my iPod out of my pocket too quickly! They are very good looking and ergonomice, they have a clean, minimalistic look, which I like because i hate flashy headphones, but thats a choice.

Other Functions:
    These headphones only have two extra features; the mic and the external remote, both of wich have turned out to be very useful and fun! The remote works very well, an it seems very sturdy, not like its going to break off or stop working, which i feared from the start, and its very easy to use.
    The mic actually works, which i thought was a little far fetched for a pair of headphones, but apple really pulled it off. The mic recods with great sound quality, especially with a good app (I reccomend VoiceNotes, its free), and it really helps with things like grocery lists and voice reminders (now if only the google mobile app would work!!)

NOTE: THERE IS NO WAY TO USE THE REMOTE/MIC WITH THE 1G, IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE, NOT A SOFTWARE ONE

Price:
    These headphones are a bit pricy, but they are well worth it, and with this being the holidays, people are suddenly coming into money, and they are a great investment, I've had them for a week and a half and they are the best headphones i have ever had.

And now, for those of you who dont like to read (or love numbers), here are the scores in each category out of ten:
    Sound quality/Noise cancellation: 9/10
    Comfort/Style: 10/10
    Other Functions: 10/10
    Price: 8/10 (as good of an investment as they may be, $80??!)

Total: 9.25/10

As for pics, anything I could do would just be a poorly lit, amateur version of something on this page:
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/inearheadphones/
    (ignore the pic of the nano, hehe...

)
  2. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    80 bucks for headphones? f*** me.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    For 80 bucks? You? Hmm... Nahh. You cost too much.

As for the earphones, I'm still waiting till MacWorld first. I know they won't change the earphones. But if they come out with a new device, I wanna make sure things settle first.
  4. -tcq42-

-tcq42- Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You read it all wrong. You could of f***ed me for free. I was just complaining about the 80 dollar price tag on the headphones.
  5. K9rosie

K9rosie New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thank you for the review! I thought about buying these things but I didn't think they were worth the $80.
  6. shiben589

shiben589 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    it is pricy, but these thing rok, and dont any of u guys hav relatives who giv u cash for christmas or hanukkah or new yrs or watever?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    and please stop swearing guys, i really want this to stay open
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    they really r btw K9rosie
  7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You talked only about the bass. What about the midrange+treble?
  8. madsoul

madsoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    is there any way to get them to work with my old 1g touch? its jailbroken so maybe there is a firmware fix or something? i so want to buy these but the volume, mic and play controlls dont work with 1g..

9. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, it is a hardware thing. It will not work.
  10. madsoul

madsoul Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    k, that sucks.