[Review] AKG K518DJ

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by daconcerror, Aug 10, 2010.

1. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So this is my second review and this time i will be doing a review of the AKG K518DJ which as you might have guessed by the name are primarily DJ headphones but read the review and you might decide to get them for everyday listening.

AKG K518DJ headphone review

Please Register or Log in to view images

What's included:

Inside the box is a bag for carrying the headphones in and a jack plug that screws onto the 3.5mm jack plug so that you can use it on the DJ decks.

Technical stuff:

*Headphones weight without cable (g) 150
    *Sensitivity (dB/mW, dB/V*) 115
    *Audio bandwidth (Hz to kHz) 16-24
    *Max. input power (mW) 2000
    *Rated impedance (ohms) 32
    *Convertible jack plug (1/8" to 1/4") Yes
    *Replaceable ear pads Yes
    *3D-Axis (folding mechanism) Yes
    *99.99% oxygen-free cable (length in m) 2,5
    *Hard gold-plated jack plug and contacts Yes
    *Closed-back, dynamic headphones Yes
    *NdFe magnets Yes
    *Suited for (SA)CD, DVD(A), DAT Yes
    *Best for MP3, CD, MD and PC/laptops Yes

Audio Quality:

So once again I'm going to deal with the sound quality first and foremost. I started in the same way i usually do to test the Audio quality of these headphones and stuck on some good old classic rock. I found the headphones to be incredibly warm and very very nice sounding. It has an almost perfect balance of treble, mid and bass although one criticism that i have is that the bass is, in some songs, too loud compared to the rest and for DJ headphones you would expect the sound to be perfectly flat. Next i listened to some Pendulum because as DJ headphones you expect them to produce a clean sound for dance music and was slightly disappointed, when DJ'ing you want to be able to hear every part of the music and i found myself struggling to hear some of the higher parts of the music due to the overpowering bass. These headphones handle Rap music almost perfectly however, the lack of bass in rap music means that the vocals come through with perfect clarity and due to the warmth of the headphones makes it seem a lot better than most other headphones ive tried. The thing i love most about these is that you can listen to the headphones below normal levels but still block out the surrounding noise due to the powerful amps in these headphones, it also means that when in a Disco situation you can push the volume up to about half and still achieve this effect.

Durability:

These headphones feel extremely strong, inside the headband there is a metal strap that stops the headphones from snapping while you are trying to transport is and the connector between the actual ear cups and the head band is made from an extremely strong plastic. The only part that doesn't feel very durable about the whole design is the actual connection to the ear cup because although the plastic is extremely strong it is only connected to the ear cup by a diameter of 50mm which could snap away from the cup.

Comfort:

As far as comfort goes, there is none. The metal band in the head band pulls the ear cups together with such a force that it squeezes your head and after taking them off your ears hurt. The other thing is that the On-ear design means that the very small amount of padding these headphones do give is pretty much rendered useless. The head band doesn't have have any padding although you don't really feel it on your head.

Portability:

These headphones, being DJ headphones, are amazing for portability, the almost 360 degree rotation of the ear cup means that the heaphones can be folded up and sloted into the carrying bag that they came with, they can easily fit into a bag or DJ case without taking up too much room.

Overall:

Audio: 9/10 they lose a point for the lack overpowering bass when listening to dance music

Durability: 9/10 The headphones feel very strong but the small connection to the ear cup lets it down.

Comfort: 4/10 Very uncomfortable at first but after a very long period of listening you forget theyre there, until you take them off and your ears hurt.

Portability: 10/10 Extremely portable

Average: 8/10 Because the comfort lets it down

These headphones market at £59.49 in the UK
  2. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

I'm really liking your reviews... they've actually inspired me to make some about my headphones

3. daconcerror

daconcerror Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks man, i have two more to do, which should be done by tonight