[REVIEW] Air Mouse Pro Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by PG2, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Air Mouse Pro

Please Register or Log in to view images

$5.99

Intro Air Mouse Pro

Air mouse pro is essentially a wireless mouse application, using your iPod or iPhone as a mouse to your computer. It uses either an accelerometer or your finger to move the mouse around, just like a track pad. You can also use your keyboard with this application! If there is a time where you mouse stops working, or your parents take it (from personal experience!), you can always pull out your trusty Air Mouse Pro and work / play with no problems at all. A couple of other uses could be using your computer from a distance away, or pranking family members! With a little instruction and setting up abilities, you will be on your way to becoming an Air Mouse Pro (Pro!).

Setting up your Air Mouse

You are first going to want to download the software, according to your computer type, from http://www.mobileairmouse.com. On the right hand side, you should see either Mac or PC download links. Click on either one, and download the software. You will also need to set it up. It is easy enough, all you do is click 'next' (no need to read the Terms of Service) and finish setting up. On your task bar, somewhere near the clock, you should see a yellow icon similar to the App Store icon (if you set up the software). Right click on it, and click 'Restore'. Something like this should come up, entitled Air Mouse Server:

Now is the time that you will want to go onto your iPod / iPhone, but make sure that you leave the 'Air Mouse Server' up. You are going to want to click the gears (settings) in the top left corner of the screen. You will see half of the screen has lines with the words 'Air Mouse Server:' above it, and some other options below.

In the IP and Port areas, you are going to want to enter the numbers from the IP and Port areas from the 'Air Mouse Server' that you kept open earlier. Click 'Done' when you are finished typing in the IP and Port. When you finish typing the IP Address and Port given to you by the Air Mouse Server, something should appear under 'Air Mouse Server:'. Mine is ALEX-PC, because my PC has been named Alex. Names may vary, depending on the name of your computer. (Optional: You can change the different boxes below, ranging from whether you can hear the sound, or whether the mouse goes into sleep mode.)

Try it out, it should work! :)

On to the review...

Layout

I had some trouble starting out with this application. A keyboard filled half of the screen, with the other half being blank (with the exception of 2 yellow triangles). I do not feel that this layout is user friendly. There is not enough space for you to move your fingers around to move your mouse. In the other setting, with the accelerometer, I feel that there is adequate space. You don't need to, but you still have the option to, move your mouse via fingers. If you hold thee one yellow 'line' in the center, and tip your iPod / iPhone accordingly, you can move the mouse. There are also the scrolling abilities.

When you click on the other option for keyboard, there are buttons without labels D: (BAD CHOICE!) for you to use. They are listed in this order:

• Back
    • Search
    • Home
    • Forward
    • Refresh
    • Stop loading this page
    • Favorite
    • Make Text Larger
    • Make Text Smaller

You also have the option to use the bottom area as a music player, with play/pause, forward and backward, etc. You can also use the function keys (F1, F2, F3...). In my opinion, the options are too many, all they are really doing is cluttering up the keyboard space. One more totally random thing that I probably don't need to mention, you can't see what time it is with this application! You could be on this for hours, without looking at your clock on your computer (haha), and be late for an important event!

Controls

I have somewhat covered the controls so far, but this section will help clear up any questions.

To use the track pad ability, all you have to do is move your finger on the black space on the upper half of the screen. You may notice that it is quite touchy, and that gets some getting used to. If you think that it is just too sensitive, which I do, you can change the acceleration rate and pointer speed under the tabs on 'Air Mouse Server'. I turned mine all the way down, and I still feel that it is pretty touchy. I think it would be good if the next update included a slower pointer speed, for users like myself! Back on topic of the controls, the 2 yellow arrows are used for scrolling on your computer. I found a problem in this scrolling use, though. If you tap the same arrow twice on the touchscreen, it will start to scroll through the different tabs that I have open on my Internet browser. Keep in mind, I have only tried Firefox, please let me know if this is the same for other browsers.

To use the accelerometer ability, you are going to need to tap the 2 interlocking arrows in the top right corner of your iPod / iPhone. When the screen changes, you need to hold the yellow button in the center, and tilt your iPhone / iPod accordingly. I have yet to get accustom to this feature. Whatever way I tilt my iPod, the mouse always wants to turn a different way. I do not recommend using this feature. You might enjoy your self, and you could probably try it, but I don't recommend using it.

Visuals

Though I am not a huge fan of this application, the visuals are very nice. When you are using the application, only grays, blacks and yellows are used. The colors go great together (they are my school colors!) and are very easy on the eyes. I have used other applications with bright coloring, which makes me want to stop using that application. You can clearly read the text that is being displayed, which is also a good factor. The set up area is also nice, using a light gray and blue (mostly default colors).

Reuse Value

This application is really a life-saver when your mouse dies, or it is taken away. Though somewhat hard to control, the mouse is better than staring at your screen, unaware of what you could be doing. Other applications like Jaadu VNC might be helpful if you are away from your computer, only problem being that you would have to be within your WiFi area, but that is a totally different topic.

Ratings

Setup - 4/5. Straightforward, easy to set up this application. However, setup is not being counted in the ratings. I just thought that I would let you know how it is to set this up.

Layout - 3/5. Though I managed to get through it, this application was confusing to navigate. Even though there are only 3 different screens, the different keyboards, options and such brought this rating down.

Controls - 2/5. In my opinion, the controls are very hard to use, even with the sensitivity turned all the way down. I had a hard time moving the accelerometer part of it around, and I am still unsure how. The other part is also very tricky to maneuver, you have to be precise on how fast you move that finger!

Visuals - 3/5. Nice on the eyes, but could have a little more variety. gray, black and yellow are nice colors to use, but maybe sprinkle a little red or green in somewhere? This is too simple, that is my opinion.

Reuse Value - 4/5. This app is able to be used again, and again, and again. Knowing that is it always good for a backup, but you can't see the screen, I give this a 4/5.

Overall Rating

This app isn't either great or bad. It is right in between. I personally would not recommend this app to anyone, reason being would have to be that the touch area is so sensitive, even turned down all the way. The accelerometer also plays a part in it, because I am still not sure on how I am supposed to use it. Any questions, comments, please post them here! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Nice review, yea i was like, "iPod Mouse'? lol fail. Not your review just the idea lol, if you have an ipod touch, i think u can afford a real mouse

3. PG2

PG2 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Even though it is a 'different' idea, it can be helpful in times.
  4. josh0403

josh0403 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Awesome app. If my parents dont want me on the computer they just take the keyboard. Which now will fail.
  5. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    you could use some vnc app...
  6. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Nice review, have you tried Jaadu?
  7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I wanted to get this application but $5.99 is pushing it for me...

p.s. make your screenshots in .png format... they look a bit grainy
  8. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice review, I bought it on sale. It'll be good for our home theatre, we can leave the computer in the other room and control the dvd with this remote. I personally would give it more than 3 stars, but we all look for different things

9. d3xterity

d3xterity Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Love this app. I can control my computer from my bed. Jaadu VNC and this app are my two favorite. FIVE STARS!
  10. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    im using airmouse to post this right now. its an AWESOME app! it even has a landscape keyboard that i just found out about just now! what i REALLY want to use this for is i want to make my tv in our living room a monitor for my computer so i can just sit and watch my movies and also youtube vids on the tv upstairs and have my ipod in my hand and use airmouse that way.