[Reveiw] Break, by Jirbo

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by P0150N0U5 F15)-(, Jul 16, 2008.

1. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

Jirbo, is one of the largest game makers in the iPhone market. From the beginning, with web apps, and now, with the App Store, they have released game after game after game.

One of their latest games, called Break, is creeping up the free apps section. It is based on Javanoid. Go here for a Java version for browsers http://ww7.freearcade.com/Javanoid.jav/Javanoid.html.

When you first open the game, it displays a menu, with these options:

Please Register or Log in to view images

New Game: Self explanatory
    High scores: Opens a league table that can sync with Jirbo servers. Not sure if it works in this release, as I didn't get an update.
    Sounds: Pop up menu to turn sounds on and off
    Jirbo Avatar: Look for this in the App Store, it is an extension for it.

The gameplay is excellent. All of the movement is very smooth, and there are two ways to control the ball. One is draging your finger where you would like the bounce bar to go, and the other is a small dragging area, which is much more sensitive. There are also lots of little touches to make the game look nice. As with some tiles on the proper Javanoid, they require to be hit twice, and they spark on the first hit. On the second, they break up. As well as this, when they are hit, they move to the side they were hit on, depending on how it was hit. The game pauses when you take your finger off the screen, a really useful feature. I could only see drop down boosts making this any better.

1st method of controlling bounce bar:

2nd method, note the bottom hub:

1st hit:

2nd hit:

High scores:

Place on the top 25 free apps section:

I would really recommend that you get this app. It may not be as good as SMB, but it is certainly better on your battery!

8/10

Attached Files:

2. REEPERpat

REEPERpat New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Has anyone else noticed that the game can be jerky at times ? ie when the ball makes contact with a brick, just before the brick fades away there seems to be a momentary pause. It seems somewhat random and annoys me at times, hope it isn't just me having this problem

3. P0150N0U5 F15)-(

P0150N0U5 F15)-( Banned

It is probably all of us. Developers improve their apps performance over time...
  4. artie1

artie1 New Member