returning to touch after long time hiatus

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by hyroboarder, May 11, 2008.

1. hyroboarder

hyroboarder New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Back when the touch came out I bought one the first day my apple store got it. I returned it about 1-2 months later after realizing it wasn't what I wanted and it took a very large chunk out of my bank account.

Fast forward to february 2008, after walking out of Sam's club with a 250$ touch, less bugs, new software update, and a large chunk paid by the person who dropped my 5g in the water, I have my new ipod touch. The people who develop software for this are amazing, I'm so glad there is an entire community for one single product.

Realizing technology is moving at blazing speeds, I haven't really been following the new stuff that is possible with the touch today. I know the basics, jailbreaking to newer updates, ziphone, sdk, pwnage, etc. but I have a few questions that would really be helpful.

First-I have seen on a few themes a "trash" folder in the dock. Can someone tell me about this, can you really delete stuff now on the ipod itself? Also, I have seen people with an osx leopard stacks-esque folder on the ipod. I tried installing this program in installer, but it wasn't at all like what I've seen.

Second, I'm looking to install pwnage on my touch. Can someone clarify this for me, I think I have a basic understanding of it, you basically just make a firmware with the jailbreaking tools straight on it with all the themes, tools, toys, etc that you want?

Third, on my jailbroken touch I can't play ANY file bought from the iTMS. The first time I jailbroke it wouldn't play, then I restored it and they played for a few days but now they're back to not working.

Sorry for posting all these questions at once, but I didn't want to waste bandwidth and post questions across 5 different sub forums.
  2. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    look at the ipod touch reference page its stickied...
  3. Puredudes

Puredudes New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I tied pwnage u rly need to read about it before you make your firmware. I had to rejailbreak with ziphone because my safari wasn't working correctly and pwnage really isn't much diffrence than ziphone just one less step i guess .

have u installed bsd system from ur installer app?
  4. bsblade

bsblade New Member

About pwnage, you don't download it onto your ipod, you download it onto your computer and then create a custom firmware which you put on your ipod. About the Music not playing, what jailbreak method are you using? since you are starting from scratch and dont have a lot to lose i would suggest downloading pwnage and prejailbreaking. I used ziphone myself and i have no problems playing any music.
  5. hyroboarder

hyroboarder New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I get the bsd root error when I try ziphone. Have they fixed that yet?

The way I jailbroke was downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreakme.com, installer update to 1.1.2/1.1.3 (I forgot which one)
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Which version of Ziphone? They fixed that in 2.6, which worked perfectly for me.