Returning my Touch for a GoPhone Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blackgoat226, Oct 29, 2007.

1. blackgoat226

blackgoat226 New Member

After jailbreaking and loving my IpoT to death I've come to realize how amazing it would be if I could somehow combine that device that gets WiFi at my house and at college to my phone. So I've decided to buy an Iphone and then do the 999-99-9999 social trick to activate the GoPhone plans. I really don't want to be tied down to a contract and seems like 50 bucks a month (30 for Minutes, and 20 for unlimited data) is a mighty fine deals. However I'm kind of on the edge of doing it or just sticking to my IpoT.

1.I already jailbroke my IpoT
    2.I like Sprint
    3.Not guaranteed to be able to port my number
    4.EDGE sucks.
  2. KrayZieAsSPiNoy

KrayZieAsSPiNoy New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Problem is, Sprint's line of cellphones are all CDMA phones, unlike AT&T ones that are GSM.
    its completely different in hardware and software/firmware
  3. blackgoat226

blackgoat226 New Member

Well Yeah I know that, I don't know if your familiar with what I'm trying to do. I'm keeping my sprint phone all while activating an iPhone with a "GoPlan" so that I'm not under a ATT contract and I still have a functioning iPhone. My Sprint contract ends soon, after that I'll port my cell number from Sprint and I'll be good, so my theory is haha.
  4. Khris

Khris New Member

Being in Canada, I figured the only thing I could have right now was the iPod touch and so ordered it. Unfortunately it was a Week 37 with the bad screen.....but I used it for a few days before sending it back (originally for an exchange, however decided upon a refund due to spending 3 hours on the phone with Apple convincing them there was a problem with Week 37 iPods even though they claim this was the first they've heard of it).

I decided then that I would get an iPhone instead because a) $399 US for the iPhone is cheaper than $449 CDN for the touch, and b) I wanted to carry just one device instead of a phone and iPod.

I got a friend living near Detroit to ship me one, unlocked it, and absolutely love it!! I don't regret it for an instant!!
  5. jalalo

jalalo New Member

Does the 9's for the SSN really work?
    Also how much does the Go-Plan cost?
    I've been tempted to do this for ever but the I've had the touch longer than the return policy at the Apple store so I wanna make sure this works before I go through the eBay process.
  6. blackgoat226

blackgoat226 New Member

I am officially using an iPhone now. It works legitely, I'm about to Jailbreak my iPod later on, i just want to grab a bite to eat first haha. However the 9's do work, you'll fail the credit check and give you three options, Retry, GoPhone, or do nothing. Once you select Go-Phone it will ask you what type of plan you would like, lowest is 49.99 (200 Minutes with unlimited data). After you pick your features and such it will make you wait untill you pay the balance to your account and once you do, bamm you'r on AT&T without contract and security deposits. It gives you your phone number and everything through iTunes and through an e-mail to your desired account.
  7. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thats good to hear.
    I'll get an iPhone next year when they add more memory and make it thinner.
  8. jalalo

jalalo New Member

Stupid question regarding the Go Plan:
    Is it the kind where you pay every month with no contract, or is it the pay when you run out of minutes plan?

Edit:
    It winds up that its the plan where it's linked to your account and it takes out every month.
    I need a plan thats not linked to an account (a prepaid type)
    If I were to buy this type of plan through T-Mobile, would I be able to activate it on the iPhone? I know you can get regular T-Mobile but I'm not sure if this is different. Also, if this worked, would I get the EDGE network, or is that only for ATT?
  9. Khris

Khris New Member

Thinner?? How much thinner do you need? Personally I think the iPod touch was WAY too thin and it was uncomfortable to hold. The iPhone is only slightly thicker, but much easier to hang on to.