Return link should be added, read for details...

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by br0adband, Oct 29, 2008.

1. br0adband

br0adband New Member

On many other forums that use vBulletin as this forum does (MacRumors.com is one, HardForum.com is another, there are thousands more of course), when you get to the end of a thread (meaning you read/scroll down to the bottom of the thread) and get to the last post, you typically need to hit Back on your browser to return to the upper level you just came from.

On those other forums, they have a link to get you there that's much easier. Here's a screenshot to show what I'm talking about snapped from MacRumors.com:

Please Register or Log in to view images

While most everyone either has mouse rockers (Back/Forward functions with the two basic mouse buttons) or some additional mouse buttons to let them go Back/Forward without needing to actually click Back/Forward on their browser (I don't even have those buttons, I pulled 'em off Firefox), it is far easier to offer that Jump option at the bottom of each thread as it offers the ability to "jump" back to the thread listing and it also properly notifies the forum software to mark the thread as read once you click the Go button.

Some forums don't/won't recognize a thread as read if you click Back on your browser because the browser simply re-displays the previous page from its cache and doesn't request a new updated thread. The Jump link forces the browser to re-request the previous page fresh from the server, and everything is updated as required.

It's not tough to add this Jump feature and whoever manages the forum software should be able to add the feature in minutes, if not sooner.

Thanks for providing a great forum and a fantastic resource for iPod touch information. I hope this suggestion is useful, as for me having that Jump link makes forum navigation way way more efficient.

Have fun, always...
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

I find it much easier to click back.
  3. br0adband

br0adband New Member

The Jump option also provides the ability to "jump" to any other subforum without needing to go "back" and then click the appropriate links. It's just more efficient overall...
  4. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Don't kill me for this but, is there a chance someone will implement this at some point? Been away for quite some time and I know thread necromancy is frowned upon at some forums but, still, that Jump list drop down menu is so useful.

Just clicking or hitting the Back button doesn't cover the tracks in vBulletin the same way as the Jump list option does - it doesn't mark threads properly as "read" in the database.

But whatever, it was a helpful suggestion but I guess it landed on blind eyes or deaf ears... turn down the iPods, we're all going deaf!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just use the new post feature, so its easy to go to the top, and click new posts. However, I agree, someone should show bgizzle
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Actually we used to run this up until we got so many subsections that the HTML that was generated for it greatly increased page download sizes and just made browsing slow. I may consider adding an option to enable it if there is significant demand.