Resynching after Jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by TheReverendAG, Nov 2, 2007.

1. TheReverendAG

TheReverendAG New Member

Maybe I haven't lurked enough, but I can't seem to find a decent chunk of info on rigging up a jailbroken iPod so that it can synch with iTunes.

Google showed me the way to a nice wiki on the subject, but it's instructions were a bit ambiguous:

The problem is that "Mediaold" does not exist and the wiki makes no previous mention of it.

Also, is it natural for my iPod to claim that my music library is empty after a successful jailbreak? I can see the mp3 files in /var/root/Media, but using the Music app claims there are none. Changing Media to Media_sym, as previously suggested, wields the same results.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. TheReverendAG

TheReverendAG New Member

OK, it seems that was due to some time delay after I changed the folder names. Changing Media_sym back to Media has restored my iPod's knowledge of my music after all, so that's a plus.

As for the sync, the question still stands.
  3. planetbeing

planetbeing New Member

Hi,

Thank you for providing us with lots of information to work with and even doing some research first. I would like to know further what method you used to jailbreak? Your problem may be the result of using a "jailbreak site" (like jailbreak.toc2rta.com) and a jailbreak utility (like iJailbreak or touchFree) that are incompatible with each other. jailbreak.toc2rta.com at least used to rename your folder to Mediaold. If they changed the name, the jailbreak utility wouldn't know where your music was stored and would be unable to restore it.

jailbreak.kengz.com is probably based on niacin and dre's source. Their source, unfortunately, uses the name "Oldmedia" instead of "Mediaold" and if that is what jailbreak.kengz.com used verbatim: Well, there's trouble.

As to your immediate issue, first make sure you can see and play your media in your iPod, and then make sure with SFTP that there's only Media now in your /var/root folder. Not Mediaold or Media_sym or Oldmedia or whatnot.

If that's good, then the problem is likely a computer one. I would reboot the computer (and reboot the iPod just to be safe) and try it again then. Also make sure you COPIED iTunesMobileDevice.dll and not MOVED it if you were ever asked to do that (as in some older jailbreaks). Lastly, if syncing still does not work, try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

If syncing STILL does not work, then I'm going to guess you used jailbreakme.com and ended up being one of those rare freak accidents.
  4. TheReverendAG

TheReverendAG New Member

Hey, thanks for that great response.

You cleared something up for me.. I used a one-click TIFF exploit jailbreak method. From my previous readings, I assumed that I had to fix something as part of the standard jailbreak procedure in order to get my iPod to sync to iTunes. I guess it's only certain methods where you need to make a fix.

I actually haven't tried to sync yet.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm just at work and slightly bored, so I figured I'd ask a preemptive question and get things ready before I got home.

So I guess I should good to go, assuming I didn't cause a freak install accident, like you said.

PS: I really like this community so far. Very responsive and very helpful. Good work!