Restoring only contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simon71717, Jan 25, 2010.

1. simon71717

simon71717 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hi guys I'm new here and I would appreciate if anyone could help me out here.

My Iphone had been having problems lately and yesterday I decided to head over to the apple store to get it checked. Before that I restored the firmware and then restored to backup.

One thing I've noticed was that the name change in the top left corner from jailbreak stayed.

I went to the apple store and they refused to help me, saying that my phone had been jailbroken and that they would only do it if I did a complete restore.

So my problem is that I want to restore only the primary things such as settings, sms, contacts, etc from the backup itunes made, since it would be hell to type all my contacts back in. Can this be achieved?

Thanks!
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You have a few options:

Restore it again and don't restore to the backup; from there just resync your contacts (be sure your contacts are synced with your computer first).

If you are taking it in for work anyway why not just restore it and take it in like new (without restoring from your backup). If they fix your problem great; go home and restore it to your backup. If they give you a new iPhone do the same thing.

Your other option is to eliminate the string in the .plist that is saved in your backup. Here is a guide to change it: link.
  3. feder34

feder34 New Member

Re : Restoring only contacts?

I don't think there is a way to get your contacts back, unless they didn't transfer your SIM card which has your contacts on it and you still have it. I have the iPhone.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But next time you need to hook you iPhone up to the computer and it's new, hook it up, and go to file>transfer files and it should put all of the files on your phone onto your library.

Good luck!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

security cameras | Answering Services | long island djs
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

The iPhone doesn't save contacts to the SIM card; you can export them off the SIM but not add them to the SIM. I believe Apple did that so that you have to use iTunes to manage your contacts.

I believe there are a few programs available through Cydia to allow you to save contacts to your SIM but a factory iPhone cannot.