Restoring Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Perception, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Perception

Perception New Member

My Ipod is broken. I cant connect to iTunes. Is there any possible way I can restore the Ipod without being connected to the computer? (I am sure the Apple store does not want to see my Jailbroken Ipod!)
  2. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Have you tried doing the force-restore method? (Press and hold both the sleep/wake button and the home button until the unit reboots and the Apple logo appears, and then let go. The "connect to computer" graphic with the cable should appear.)

If that doesn't work and the unit is totally dead, then no, I'm afraid there's not much you can do.
  3. chopshop

chopshop New Member

Also, I think your battery has to have a good charge on it, so if it is close to dead leave it plugged into the usb for a while.

Another thing a lot of people have had success with is try using another computer if it is available.
  4. Perception

Perception New Member

Is your warranty voided if your Ipod is Jailbroken?
  5. chopshop

chopshop New Member

Technically, yes. Though, I don't think anyone has been unable to restore an iPod Touch unless it was in such a condition where you would not be able to tell if it was jailbroken or not...

Edit:If I were you, I'd hold the plug in for the whole restore. Yes it will suck, but it's better than bringing in a jailbroken ipod for warranty replacement.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If it is so dead that it can't be turned on no matter how you bribe it, then a mac genius won't have any better luck, and since the policy on iPods is in-store exchange, he'll just give you a new one rather than fix your old one, so not much chance of discovering the jailbreak.

If it is still works in some manner (you're able to get to the springboard/summerboard) then yeah, you'll need to find a way to restore before you do anything or Apple will just give you the tough-titties speech.
  7. Perception

Perception New Member

I can't get it to connect period now. So what I did for now is went in to customize and hid all the added icons so it looks like a normal ipod touch. So should I drain the battery til its completely dead because I do have a New Orleans Saints carrier image that i cant change?
  8. chopshop

chopshop New Member

My only concern would be if they plug it in to their computers and it does connect, then they'll see the carrier image. Can't hurt to try though since it doesn't seem to be working at all for you. Good Luck.

Maybe, before you make the appointment with a genius, try it in one of the docks for the display ipods. Make sure you can't get it to work.
  9. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Have you applied the force-restore method? Generally speaking, when all else fails, this method almost always works unless there is some hardware problem.

Also try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, or try it on another computer if available.
  10. chopshop

chopshop New Member

In another thread, Perception said that his ipod was only connecting if he applied pressure to the connector, like there's broken solder joints. But, your very right I'd try everything first.