iOS 4.0 Restoring 3.1.3 iPod touch 2G

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by clayton2, Jun 24, 2010.

1. clayton2

clayton2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello, I haven't updated my 2G iPod touch (currently running 3.1.3 jailbroken) to 4.0 yet because I see all the problems that it seems to be having. My question is that if I have iTunes 9.1 installed (which can't update my iPod touch to 4.0), and if I have the 3.1.3 ipsw file on my computer, can I do the Shift + Restore to restore my device so it's 3.1.3 unjailbroken?
  2. joes

joes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Depends. Are you currently jailbroken? Have you backed up your SHSH Blobs on the Cydia Server? Have you added the cydia extension to your host file (if using windows)? There are various tutorials about this, use google

Please Register or Log in to view images

You must jailbreak your iDevice with Spirit, then back up your SHSH Blobs on Cydia, it's extremely easy. However, having in account that you have a 2nd Gen Touch, you won't be able to use wallpapers natively on iOS4. I don't recommend iOS4, it sucks. That is why I restored my ipt3g today and re-jailbroke with spirit!
  3. clayton2

clayton2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I remember reading a little about that SHSH stuff a while ago, but I was under the impression that it only pertained to the 3rd gen iPod touch and the iPhone 3GS.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, I googled and found a program called Firmware Umbrella, so I think I will try that, since I don't have wi-fi where I live to backup my SHSH via Cydia directly.

But I do have a question about "Have you added the cydia extension to your host file (if using windows)?" What do you mean by that, because I do use Windows 7.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I tried the TinyUmbrella program, but it says that I'm not running it as administrator on my Windows 7 64-bit, even though I know I am running it as administrator, and then it throws out error code asking if I'm connected to the internet. I am connected to dial-up internet, but does my iPod touch also have to be connected to internet??? Because it's not at the moment.
  4. joes

joes New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yeah no prob! First, Firmware Umbrella is perfect since it sends your SHSH blobs to all the Cydia servers

! Now, you need to go to:

x:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts
    (x stands for the drive in which you have installed windows)

Open hosts with the notepad and at the bottom write:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Now save. This will help your restoring process to bypass the apple server and access the blobs Firmware Umbrella uploaded for you

!

When you are going to restore, put your device in DFU mode (home button + power button for about ten seconds, then release the power and keep pressing the home button , all of this while connected to iTunes). Afterwards, click+ Restore and browse for your firmware. Done!

But, IMHOiOS4 sucks. The multitasking doesn't even work with apps that haven't been developed to be multitasked. Just stick with your jailbroken device, it's way better

I did a downgrade from ios4 to 3.1.3 today and then downgraded itunes from 9.2 to 9.1 to be able to jb again with spirit. I'm extremely happy

!
  5. clayton2

clayton2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for you help joes!!

I couldn't get Firmware Umbrella to connect to its TSS Server, because it said that I wasn't running it as an administrator, even though I was. Maybe I need to use something faster than dial-up, or be in a wi-fi are so my device gets connected to the internet as well.