Restore "signing" and third generation iPods.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ibizaGTi, Feb 6, 2010.

1. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So, what with the new 3.1.3 firmware, appl have now stoppend signing off on restores to the older (and jailbreakable) 3.1.2.

This is obviously a problem for anyone with a 3rd Gen iPod touch or a iPhone 3gS who needs to restore didn't manage to backup their SHSH ECID before the cut-off.

Unfortunately, I'm one of these people. when loading cydia, i wasn't given the option to save my signatures, which i guess must be because cydia recognised my 8gb 3rd Gen as a 2nd Gen.
    So my first question is, i'm basically SOL with that now aren't i? there is no way to save these files now apple have stopped signing 3.1.2.

This brings me to my second question.
    If iTunes goes through the process of contacting their servers etc before signing off the restore, how would anyone without an internet connection restore the iPod? Surely apple would have been forced to provide a solution for this. Not everyone will have a net connection at the place they need to restore.

I'm sure it isn't as simple as just disconnecting from the net before starting a restore, but has anyone tried that?

I'm just praying i dont need to restore for any reason before an updated jailbreak is released...
  2. maxam

maxam Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I tried restoring without internet. It wont let me because it says it cannot contact their servers.
  3. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hmm, I would have thought apple would have been forced to provide a method for an offline restore of the device for people without net access at certain times etc.
    But then again, that would cancel out the implementation of their signing process altogether.