Restore & Power Issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by dcanoli, May 15, 2009.

1. dcanoli

dcanoli New Member

Okay, bare w/me. I have been working on my 12YO's ipod Touch for the past two days....scouring the web for answers...now, it's time to just plain 'ole ASK!

He has a 1st gen.

He jailbroke it at one time, but it's been restored since then (over and over again).

Here's where I'm at--after some restoring, etc. I can finally get all his apps and songs back on the touch, BUT once it's unplugged from the computer, it shuts down automatically, we can't get it to come back on (not even w/all the button presses, etc.).

The only way I can get it back on is to hook it back up to the USB and go thru the process of restoring, etc. again. Once it's "off" the computer, it shuts itself down when not in use.

Any clue what's going on and why it won't power up again once off? If you can just point me in the right direction, I can just run w/it!

Thanks!
  2. hotfuzz

hotfuzz Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well if you can use it as normal when it IS plugged into the computer, then my guess would be that the battery is McFuc*ed... Because the computer is providing power. As soon as you remove power, there is no other source so you would have to replace the battery....that's my guess!
  3. dcanoli

dcanoli New Member

Okay--that seems like such a simple solution, but I'm wondering (outloud) if that's it or if there are other technical issues.

I just got his apps loaded back on (no music yet), and let it power itself down. Now, I can't get it back on...tried holding both buttons, letting go of one, etc. Nothing....

The reason I think it's a technical issue is because once I hook it back up to iTunes, it prompts me to restore and the touch won't come on unless I restore it (AGAIN). It's not like it powers up once attached to the USB/PC.

Plus, we just got it in December. Could there be a battery issue so soon? Thanks...
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with hotfuzz... if it's powering down as soon as it's turned off you probably have a hardware issue and it looks highly likely to be the battery. If the battery hasn't been properly looked after they can fail earlier than normal (see the battery link in my sig for tips on how to get the best out of Li-Ion batteries). I would look into a battery replacement - you can send it off for service or buy a battery and a case opening kit off ebay or somewhere similar and repair it yourself, though it's a fiddly job and you can often do more damage doing it yourself. You can also get a range of newer higher powered batteries now and they're not too expensive.
  5. dcanoli

dcanoli New Member

So, here's my sticky question then....

Can I send it back to Apple or take it to one of their stores? Will they be able to detect it has ever been jailbroken?

It's only about 5 months old.

...and I'm still not sure this is 100% battery. The only way I can get it to restore apps and music is to restore it on my laptop then move the touch to my son's old desktop PC and let it sync from there.

I'm trying to restore it from his PC right now, and it just gets stuck in an endless loop of restoring....

Can the battery really be an issue this soon? Thank you!
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Okay I had presumed as it was a 1G it was older... Do you have a wall charger? I would suggest trying to give it a full charge though that first. If not try charging from a few different USB ports on different computers.

I would also try and DFU restore to clean stock Apple firmware through iTunes (latest 2.2.1 f/w would be best) and see if that helps. You say it works when connected to the PC so it may be a dodgy jailbreak and if you,re not retsoring to a clean firmware before each new jailbreak attempt then this could also be your problem.

So basically you want to rule out a battery issue by getting it charged and restored to clean firmware. To stock DFU restore, attach the iPod touch to a PC via the USB cable the cable with iTunes open, hold the power and home buttons for ten seconds and then let go of the power button while still holding the home button for a further five seconds. This will put you into─▒ the hardware DFU restore mode and you should get a restore screen coming up on the iPod touch with iTunes recognising the device in restore mode. Then restore to 2.2.1 stock Apple firmware. See the DFU link in my sig if you're having any issues with DFU mode - it doesn't always click first time.

If you do this and get a cleanly restored device and it's still not holding a charge after trying from different USB ports and the wall charger than you can safely say you have a battery issue and also the device will be cleanly restored to an Apple firmware leaving no signs of the jailbreak.

If it does work and it does hold charge then you can go ahead and re-jailbreak 2.2.1 with quickPWN. Good luck. Post again if you have further issues.
  7. dcanoli

dcanoli New Member

Okay, I am running out to work for a bit, but here are the answers to some of your questions that I can address real quick:

We do not have a wall charger, and I have been working with the touch on two different computers (one lappy and one desktop) and using different USBs on both, so that is not making any type of difference.

I haven't tried restoring thru DFU, but on my LAPTOP, I can get the touch to restore (just going thru iTunes) (not on the desktop--it goes into an endless restoring loop on there) and THEN, since all my son's music and apps are on the desktop, I move the cord and touch to the desktop where it will then (normally) recognize the touch and sync it to his songs and apps.

He only did jailbreak one time, so that hasn't been a problem (i.e., multiple attempts).

Right now, it's stuck in restore, so I just took it off the desktop.

It is extremely frustrating, as I don't understand if it's just a battery issue, then why is it getting stuck in restore mode on the desktop but not on the laptop?

I can have the battery replaced, of course, but then, it seems like I'm going to have to back up my son's data off his desktop and then uninstall and reinstall iTunes on the PC.

...it's like an endless merry-go-round. I will try the DFU trick when I get back home.....

Thanks for the help and the links. I will hit them when I get back in.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Okay, NOW I'm REALLY confused. Just got home from work, and I had left my son's iPod hooked up to my laptop. It was restoring when I left...here it is almost 5 hours later, and it's still "restoring." Stuck in a loop I guess...this has never happened on my laptop before.

I can try a few things, but do you think all this "fiddlin'" around is worth it or since it's under a year old, should I take it to an Apple store and see what they say?

Thanks!
  8. dcanoli

dcanoli New Member

The End

Made an appt. at the Genius Bar.

They tried to turn it on; it wouldn't.

They said it was a "hardware" problem, and they would replace the hardware that was the problem....

The hardware that was the problem? Yep, you guessed it....the itouch itself!

About 30 seconds to tell us they would give us a new one......

Not a common problem they said, but something that they normally see when one has either been dropped or gotten wet!

Go figure! Two days wasted.....oh well, live and learn!